Welcome a new Fennec F-Droid

I didn’t as I wouldn’t know what to look for (I’m not that familiar with logcat) :slightly_frowning_face:
Maybe I’ll do it if Mozilla support asks for it.

How to download files without prompt/designate a downloader (Fennec, or external)?

I want be able to click and download, without a prompt or selecting an external downloader—just friggin’ download, like I was able to do before the “new” versions.

On my device that does not have an external downloader app, disabling “External download manager” in settings still results in a prompt every time I click something to download; very frustrating when wanting to download many things.

Thank you

Good afternoon: first of all thank you for continuing with the development of fennec. But this new version does not allow you to install some other add-ons. By style of canvasbloker, chameleon, and others. Then it makes the odd connection and has trackers and loger as it comes out with the xda application warden. I’m glad he’s still alive and they don’t let him die. Because fenix the truth is that in what is privacy and other things, he has long since left on the same side as what Google and Microsoft do. What I can ask is that they remember previous versions like 68 or icecat. And they do not let what was free code die. Because lately I am seeing that a lot of developers and others are putting everything on Google play with what this entails (that the developer accepts what Google wants or asks for). Or the same github that is from Microsoft. I already know that free code for its developers maybe, and maybe without it maybe. It is not profitable for its creators. And of course behind an application there are lots of hours of work and effort. That sometimes is not rewarded or rewarded, or even applauded by users. And then the web and others that are following patterns that Google marks and others … But please do not let the essence of what free code was as it was born die. A hug and a thousand thanks for continuing with your work.

Yes, known issue, Mozilla is working on it, mentioned above a dozen times.

Hello everyone,

First of all, a huge thank you to @relan, I just remembered to search for Fennec F-Droid after almost a year to be using Fenix, and downloading the APK of Firefox for Android for a while, just yesterday I installed again my beloved Fennec and removed Firefox for Android Stable. I’ll keep Firefox for Android Beta anyways, because as everyone who use Firefox on Android quite often, we detected that version 82.x has a bug which doesn’t allow to download any kind of files with it, so I installed the beta about 10 days ago, plus the 83 version brings another batch of supported add-ons, between there is my beloved Bitwarden, (I really hate the Xamarin “native” app they’ve got), which already replaced in my case the app, so now I depend from Firefox for Android Beta to provide me the login information for all my accounts, so the moment Fennec is updated to 83.x version, that instant, I’ll remove Firefox for Android Beta and just stay with Fennec F-Droid again, as I did in the past, pretty nice this F-Droid version of my favorite mobile web browser :slight_smile:.

Bests to all ^^.

1 Like

Hi,

Mozilla says we can disable data sending from settings : Send usage data on Firefox mobile browsers

What’s the difference between “Fennec” F-Droid, and Fenix with these toggles switched off ?

Thanks, have a good day

1. Fennec F-Droid won’t upload your data between its start and the moment you switch sending off.
  2. It has the proprietary tracking code, implementing this functionality, removed. So unlike Firefox, Fennec is free software.
1 Like

Hi@all,

I have installed version 82.1.1 (821120) from F-Droid This does not allow to download a file. No matter from which page.
With another browser e.g. Firfox Klar it works.
Is this a bug or is it because of my cell phone?

with best
pixel24

First time I hear this reported here, did you allow STORAGE permission when asked?

It’s not only you, downloads failing is a known bug upstream that apparently was fixed already, but you will have to wait a bit more until the fixed version is available.

Edit with more info:

It will be fixed for sure with Firefox/Fennec 83 (82.1.3 I’m not sure). But 83 landing might take a while.

Notice this is not a Fennec F-Droid exclusive problem, regular Firefox also has it. (Naturally, they are basically the same).

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/jqhxnd/downloads_dont_really_start_i_guess_notification/

3 Likes

No problem. I just noticed it. I extremely rarely download anything on my cell phone anyway.

The bug is from Fenix (Firefox for Android), obviously, I experienced that during a while, that caused me to install Firefox for Android Beta, when 83 becomes the stable version on Fennec, I’ll update to it and uninstall Firefox for Android Beta, Bitwarden is also coming with Fennec 83 :slight_smile:.

Bests ^^.

New Fennec is best in my opinion. Thanks for keeping this project alive.

1 Like

I thought which was a problem with my DNS as I experimented the same issue because of that time ago.

I’ve just got upgraded to the new 82.1.3 Fennec without any warning that this will track the new Mozilla code base.

I explicitly came to F-Droid for the old UX and expected that F-Droid developer community who is catering to their own needs and to that of technical users would get the strong hint of two months of one-star reviews of Google Play and not release that hot garbage fire that is the new Firefox without a strong warning, or as entirely different branding.

Apparently, I expected too much. Now I have to hunt down the old apk (I did not note down the version, but perhaps I kept it somewhere), manually migrate all these 48 tabs I have open. All in all more than a minor nuisance.

Before you berate me for ignoring the security issues and not being awed by the shiny new technology improvements: I don’t care for these in a product I can’t use.

Consider this as a constructive feedback. This was difficult to tone down, because I’m really really unhappy right now.

All these points were iterated above, yes. As expected all feedback should go to Mozilla’s issue tracker.

You can enable the Archive repo and install 68.12 .

Thanks for the pointer to the archive repo, appreciated. Downgrade fails, so the application has to be uninstalled, losing the extensions, configurations, all tabs, bookmarks and the history, as expected.

As to the feedback to Mozilla’s issue tracker, they have made abundantly clear they don’t care. So we have to wait for somebody to maintain a fork, just as Pale Moon/Waterfox did in the past.

Switching to a desktop version of Linux Firefox is an option, but unfortunately it’s not yet fully supported on my Chromebook tablet yet (e.g. no on-screen keyboard support, which makes it rather useless).

@eleitl

supported on my Chromebook tablet yet

Off-topic:
You might be able to Coreboot your Chromebook and put a standard distro on it.
Take a look at the excellent work here:

Thanks – I’m aware of Mr. Chromebox, and tend to buy hardware I can liberate (my recently retired Chromebook is an Asus C201P which can even be librebooted) but this is an ARM device (Samsung Galaxy Tab A with S Pen aka SM-P580) which I’m also about to retire.

Unfortunately, the designated successor of above two is a Lenovo Chromebook Duet which is a Chromebook/tablet (chrablet), and Google still doesn’t support neither the Android runtime (which is currently only 32 bit on that device, so I’m out of luck with side-loading Fennec) nor the Linux userland (no glass keyboard, so useless in tablet mode) there properly. We might get 64 bit support there later this year, but then, this being Google, it could be never.

Is there a 32 bit Fennec apk out there somewhere? The latest I’ve found and been able to side-load is 68.11.0 on Directory Listing: /pub/mobile/releases/68.11.0/android-api-16/en-US/ while Fennec F-Droid released 68.12.0 which I presume is the final one.

Hi again Licaon_Kter – a related issue to the one you’ve successfully helped me with, thanks for that.

I’m trying to find an F-Droid Fennec 32 bit Android apk which is newer (preferably, 68.12.0) than Directory Listing: /pub/mobile/releases/68.11.0/android-api-16/en-US/ in order to side-load (via adb install) on a Chromebook Tablet, which only has 32 bit Android userland.

I’ve been unable to find a 32 bit version of Fennec F-Droid apk. Is there such a thing? If you’re not building these by default, how difficult would it be to roll one’s own from the git repo? Thanks!