Suggestion to add all Apps which connect to CloudFlare by default

Which apps exactly?

1 Like

Cloudflare is too sporadic(if thats the rught word) depending on who/what, your connecting too.

Though I who use Tor much of the time am sure they are purposly just pissing us off…
Iv read the actual reasons they have it setup in such way to prevent misuse but just needing to collect/log such information does not outweigh something that so far has proven to be impossible as with every new design comes with new flaws that can be abused.
And have their huge ideas to streghtrwn security are rarely in place to actually have any effect. They come across as gimmicky bs’erd to stay in the light as e now so big they dpnt need new ideas yo keep ahead. But people think Warp is great and speeds up their browsing.m

2 Likes

Which apps

F-droid, if you pick the wrong mirrors?

2 Likes

Say what?

Did you ever download apks from here? https://cloudflare.f-droid.org

Not sure what conclusion to reach from this combination either: No user accounts, by design | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

I admit I don’t understand. it hasn’t been publicly explained AFAIK.

3 Likes

F-droid, if you pick the wrong mirrors?

That’s a lie, right? Why would you continue this line of discourse yet again?

That’s a lie, right?

Wrong, that’s a question.

Why do you continue personal attacks, and not answer a question?

Where is a concise explanation of how F-Droid is using these Cloudflare mirrors? Where is this opt-in that was mentioned?

@hans said a deal has been made with the devil ← paraphrase, not quote. Hans did not clarify what deal was made. Suddenly Sickness Feels, Cloudflare, really F-Droid? - #10 by hans

3 Likes

It’s a lie because you can’t pick it, you ADD it yourself, YOU decide to use it.

Do you even use F-Droid Client? See Settings - Repos… questions?

That’s a fallacy actually, a known trick: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Just_asking_questions

Try harder…

F-Droid is not using, users that ADD it use it.

When YOU add it, YOU opt-in.

The other thread has all the info: Suddenly Sickness Feels, Cloudflare, really F-Droid? who from F-Droid wants it, why, who oppose, why, what is enable, what is not, etc.

I’ll take any further comments as bad faith if you continue to go against the links that YOU YOURSELF have posted (and I hoped READ!?)

2 Likes

Quite a lot. If you are really “F-droid contributor” it is hard to miss it, isn’t it? Apps which make an Internet connection in background should be reviewed carefully, and flag it Intercepted if the destination is Cloudflare.

I stopped using F-droid because I switched to other phone.

2 Likes

In recent update F-Droid is redirecting APK download request to third-party mirrors.

As I can see from F-Droid options there is no option to opt-out or deselect mirrors which uses Cloudflare.

2 Likes

Wow. You strongly believe all F-Droid users agreed to connect to Cloudflared F-Droid site for updates?

How about clearly write a pop-up warning so those users can choose themselves?

Pick A Mirror
xxx.yyy.zzz
xxxxx.yyyy.zzzzz

2 Likes

And review apps every 3 months?

Take note of domains and watch DNS changes?

Watch hosting changes?

Can you make such a list?

Maintain it?

Why I ask? Well… even if today the contacted server is fine and not-CF… who knows what happens in the future? :frowning:

Yes.

I still didn’t see which one of the included mirror is on Cloudflare exactly… would you point it out?

As said above, the “question” some user asked innocently was actually a lie… now you keep perpetrating it. Why?

Where’s your Merge Request on Gitlab?

3 Likes

You do know that the Gitlab is using Cloudflare right?

now you keep perpetrating it. Why?

Here is a forum and I am just making a comment. How about stop being passive-aggressive by just replying “Why?”.

2 Likes

Sadly yes… leave gitlab.com (#159) · Issues · F-Droid / admin · GitLab

Can you read what I’ve written please? Read 2 or 3 more times for good measure.

Then read this again: there’s no included mirror hosted on CF in Client

Hope the next posts are not about “the mirror on CF that is not in the Client”

1 Like

I’m going to leave it here. It’s obvious to me you’ve been assuming bad faith, but I hate playing that card, so I’ll leave it with what you already know, I hope: The communication with users could be improved. A lot. IMO.

I realize you spend lots of time in gitlab. I don’t. I won’t. I skimmed a few issue threads, was surprised by what I saw, and asked for clarification.

I follow the “news” and forum. If I missed the news on collaboration with Cloudflare and how that will benefit users and be consistent with Foss and privacy values, I assume you would link that. “Decentralizing Distribution” had potential, but didn’t mention Cloudflare.

News

No user accounts, by design
2022-02-28
Decentralizing Distribution
2022-02-05
New language: Portuguese
2022-02-02
F-Droid Meeting at the RC3 Congress
2022-01-03
Pinning for packages: Android dependency management and F-Droid Push Requests

Instead, I’m concluding f-droid is doing stuff here that isn’t 100% in line with Foss and privacy, and don’t really want to, or can’t, give a concise explanation.

Yes, I know how to add repos. I don’t know how to add more official f-droid mirrors; only how to toggle them off/on. I don’t know which of those are behind Cloudflare, if any.

On the OP, It may be a safe bet that 50+/-% (SWAG) of apps with network permission or non free net tags are using or interacting with servers behind Cloudflare.

I can see why LK answered with a question. That’s too many to tag.

3 Likes

Looking at this post again it looks like the OP is not talking about F-Droid app, but about the app hosted on F-Droid.

I think this “Intercepted” flag is a good idea - to motivate app developers to build more secure app.

This is just my comment. Plz don’t bite ok???

3 Likes

That’s the problem, you jumped to conclusions in your first post here. When asked to explain… you don’t care. Yeah… fun…

Yes, but justsomeguy started the holy war against CF in F-Droid Client for all the wrong reasons. As the other thread links show not only I have been against a mirror on CF, but others too, but you know, why see that that? Better raise some drama…

Sorry to bother you but isn’t some parts of f-droid.org are using Cloudflare?

Also why activate slow mode? Sure you do not want to talk about this but it is not nice preventing discussion by activating slowmode.

4 Likes

Not that I know, no…

/LE: funny enough that would help it since the site is soooo slow, know issue :frowning: :slight_smile:

Cause rapid fire posts without documenting, as seen above, help no one. Also keep me from doing more useful stuff elsewhere (ahem Gitlab) since I need to put out imaginary fires here :frowning:

3 Likes

You all get upset over Cloudflare yet many other CDNs pull the same nonsense, but because you don’t know their name you keep your head in sand and keep screaming “but Cloudflare!?111?!!!”.

You want a tag for Akamai? for AWS? for Google Cloud? for Oracle Cloud? for Fastly? for Edgecast? Limelight?

5 Likes

upset over Cloudflare yet many other CDNs pull the same nonsense

a tag for Akamai? for AWS? for Google Cloud? for Oracle Cloud? for Fastly? for Edgecast? Limelight?

So this is the “everyone does it” fallacy, versus “two wrongs don’t make a right.”

• Cloudflare is “in your face” with BS robot accusations, as they get in the way of Tor or Tor Browser and slow you down.
  • F-Droid has made some sort of deal and arrangement with Cloudflare, but not yet with the others, AFAIK.

How do people know when the cloudflare mirror will help them, and where is the instruction for using it?

1 Like