So long, farewell and goodbye

I`d like to contribute to fdroid. Where can I start ( sorry for this stupid question…)?

2 Likes
2 Likes

Hi guys

I looking forward to help you with time and knowledge.
So tell me what must I do to support you?

Given some dissent about the way to handle upcoming challenges (like complex
builds, app developers eager to use latest pre-release stuff from Google and
how to monitor all the stuff builds (and Google itself) start pulling in at
buildtime etc.), I and my personal believes about software might also hinder
F-Droid’s further success: Newer generation always have a different
view on “values”, on techniques, on problem-solving, so these new problems
might need fresh people to solve them.

Does this ‘newer generation’ realise that there are already apps available for these tasks? For example XDA Labs or Aptoide. The thing that makes F-droid awesome is that it is different to the rest - clean, simple, free and open source, no crap. Sounds almost like F-droid has been hijacked by people that want to turn it into a rubbish heap of an app store just like every other rubbish heap app store.

If what you are saying is a sign of what’s to come with F-droid, I might just say farewell to it too. The new UI is already ugly as sin, confusing, slow and less easy to work with. It’s been a good run with this useful app. Hopefully now that it’s losing it’s original direction, something else will pop up to replace it.

Boris, you will be missed.
Thanks for putting in so much work, and thanks for keeping F-droid above reproach in terms of security and safety. F-droid provides a legitimate app store for all of us with apps that aren’t welcome on Google Play. We have to pool together and ensure that F-droid keeps on its course.

@lawofchaos F-Droid is free software, so anyone is welcome to make their own client app. If you like the old UI, then just fork it and maintain it. We are committed to long term support of the old app index format, so it will not take much work.

As for the dissent from a newer generation that @anon25111075 spoke about, I’m not really sure what exactly he means there, you’d have to ask him. We do welcome new contributors, and a number of new contributors have been getting a lot more involved. There are also still long time contributors active: @pserwylo, @CiaranG, @grote, and I have been involved since at least 2012.

Would be nice to have the old UI and the new :sunglasses:

@anon25111075 @mvdan you and the original developers of f-droid are true heroes and should get a statue built. Thank you for everything!

Sounds almost like F-droid has been hijacked by people that want to turn it into a rubbish heap of an app store just like every other rubbish heap app store.
If what you are saying is a sign of what’s to come with F-droid, I might just say farewell to it too. The new UI is already ugly as sin, confusing, slow and less easy to work with.

Welcome to 21st century information warfare. The “new” f-droid UI/X reminds me of the “systemd attack” in the GNU/Linux world.

Hopefully now that it’s losing it’s original direction, something else will pop up to replace it.

Have you found anything useful yet?

The new F-Droid client is barely usable on e-ink devices. Just my few cents…

What is e-ink device?

About my new “impression” on the new UI since September: the new UI is really not bad and even better that the 1st version. It’s just different. New functions are great and innovative. If you don’t develop on the projects, you can’t see what the devs do (server side…). With Alpha versions, we are several steps forward from the recommended version.

e-ink is a type of paper-like screen, kindle etc.

Tablets :slight_smile: