Privacy On Phone

You do realize that a chat app means you have to chat with other people, and you can’t control what apps others install?
This is a basic feature that should have been done a long time ago, the developer just doesn’t want to implement it and said he has it as a low priority.
Really? then recommending Conversations is a low priority for me.

Just use Signal, and as much as it pains me, Element / Matrix

Just use Whatsapp then, same features that you like. Others can export your files anyway, you can’t deny that to them.

Anyway…

People already understand the difference between leaving it in the app and exporting it. (and export it encrypted as a backup is possible)
This is not an excuse for not implementing a high(should be) priority feature.

You know perfectly well that other apps like Signal and Telegram have it, even Monocles chat, a fork, has it although partially (no export)

Gotta choose your fights, and winners, yes. Centralized services are worse imho.

FYI, Conversations has a toggle that monocles uses (right?) but without export it’s pain, it’s hostile to the user, keeping data hostage. Just like centralized services want it…to make you dependant of them.

Centralized services are worse imho.

Except when one almost daily uses centralized, non-free Microsoft github, and Gitlab. :laughing:

“Do as I say, not as I do” for you.

1 Like

Indeed.

I’m guilty of that. git was great, then hiring managers “had” to see public GitHub, and now folks are jumping ship to GitLab as a compromise.

It’s hard to unravel the hosted services crap now. Colleges / Universities are steeped in Office365, and I guess I shouldn’t be surprised how many companies have GSuite now. iCloud doesn’t seem to be used outside personal use. Because so many institutions have handed over everything to Google / Microsoft’s “services”, it’s hard to escape as employees / students.

1 Like

Good afternoon:

Neither Github nor Gtilab can be trusted. Since now many are escaping to Gitea or Codeberg.

After the messaging applications. No matter how encrypted the message is. Then if you upload the backup to Google, icloud. Well… But even without uploading them if whatsapp is so eager to accept the new terms of data transfer to Facebook … Well, the encryption will not be very reliable. But if not, the US and the EU already agree La UE y EEUU llegan a un acuerdo para poder transferir datos personales | Tecnología or La UE y EEUU acuerdan volver a transferir datos personales, garantizando la privacidad

Besides, I don’t know at world level. But in other parts of the world mobile phone rates, usually have unlimited minutes of calls. Then use applications like whatsapp, which are anything but private or secure. If in addition almost the most searched for the network is: how can I enter the whatsapp or facebook of my partner, friend or so …

For example I like the way of Silence for sms. That if you send one encrypted and the other does not have the application. And even if you have it, if you don’t accept the encryption, everything comes out except the text.

Then on the web you see a lot of Google amp.

Or else they are already spying on us with Pegasus Así funciona Pegasus, el programa espía que pone en jaque al Gobierno de coalición de Sánchez

In the end they want us submissive and with everything from us. Watched by cameras and so on.

Or for example in Spain with covid. That was different the code of the application in the Google store. That in Github. But as far as privacy is concerned…

We will have to get to make carbon phones. Without camera, microphone, etc… Or even put a headset with the cable cut so that they do not hear you or others.

But that is the same as people do not read on the webs about cookies. Simply accept and that’s it. But if you read it, it comes out of everything…

For example using a firewall Afwall+ style that you can give or remove permission to access both wifi or data. It helps with privacy. And in strange connections to call it that way.

Which for example gives me a doubt. It is because even the customs room. In the phone application comes out of SIP calls. Because for example you look in App Manager and there is active.

What I do not know if in future versions of the application Fdroid. You could remove the Nearby option. Or do not have access to Bluetooth or NFC. This would already be a tipzo more for Fdroid.

Best regards

Yes, sad, right?

How many devs did you convince to move?

How many apps did you uninstall because of these reasons?

We can go on in circles, yet here we are trying to do our best of this situation.

Subject above was messaging, not F-Droid, bringing this into that helps this discussion how? Repeating the same things like Cpt. Obvious helps how?

How many devs did you convince to move?

Don’t know, obviously, but we can celebrate those who have: Known F/LOSS Development of F-Droid Apps

How many apps did you uninstall because of these reasons?

First step is acknowledging and identifying the problems. Unfortunately, F-Droid makes it take longer than it should, by ignoring it, not tagging it, or even dev site labeling links.

From this old list: Why use Github, why not use Savannah, others, or self-host?

Uninstalled: AntennaPod, DejaVu, Flym AND Feeder, Phyphox, Planisphere, Wifi Analyzer, QR Scanner,

Changed from Vanilla Music to VLC

Not yet: Editor by BilltheFarmer, Etar, Orbot, OsmAnd, Simple Draw, Simple Gallery, Survival Manual,

Next up: Change from Conversations to Monocles

Thanks for asking. I also separated free dev and non free dev apps on my home screen, as a reminder to look for replacements.

F-Droid alternative is on the list now.

We can go on in circles, yet here we are trying to do our best of this situation.

F-Droid was “clean” when it started on Gitorious. When it went along with, or got swept into, Gitlab, F-Droid took a wrong turn. This is not circling; it is going wrong directions, and setting bad examples. IMO.

messaging, not F-Droid, bringing this into that helps this discussion how?

When someone argues against centralized services in one area, but uses/pushes/works for them in another area, it detracts from their credibility.

Messaging specifically, it is related: Switch to Monocles, not Conversations. Support moving off centralized, privacy disrespecting, dis-services.

Repeating the same things like Cpt. Obvious helps how?

You remember Cpt. Obvious, don’t you. Honestly, I do take this daily reminder bit from RMS’ '22 State of Foss (rambling, chewing, annoyingly presented :slight_smile: ) talk.

PS. It hurts my eyes seeing “login with (Microsoft) github” every login.

That’s not…wat?

Your list above says the same now?

You should support Conversations then, as monocles/blabber do not exist without it.

Link?

Us too, but FOSS devs are where they are. As said above, always push for better.

/LE: try to keep on topic. this change of subject midway of random threads is tiresome already.

Your list above says the same now?

Fair enough. At least I am aware of the problem AND do change in the “good” direction.

You should support Conversations then, as monocles/blabber do not exist without it.

This is slippery slope logic, which allows F-Droid to be comfortable with status quo. My view is I clearly cannot support Conversations, because it continues to use microsoft github, which I stongly dislike. I would support bounty programs to reward changing, but I cannot support it while on github.

My view is: Should I NOT support monocles also, because it relies on Conversations/Github? Similar to NOT supporting F-Droid because it relies on GitHub/Lab? I draw my line like this. Monocles developer does as much as one person or a small group possibly can, to be consistent with Foss philosophy; this I support. F-Droid group, as far as I can see, is trending in the wrong direction; this I do not support.

Link

Look for media goblin link here: https://www.fsf.org/events/rms-20220413-online

change of subject midway of random threads

Most threads wander before long, especially with topics as broad as “privacy on phone”. You may get tired of hearing it but it is not yet Cpt. Obvious to all.

It was just irony, recommending Signal on the F-Droid forum, see context: I've degoogled Signal Messenger - #19 by Licaon_Kter

Or read them all: https://forum.f-droid.org/search?q=signal

What’s the “normal text messaging” thing? SMS? IETF standard XMPP? What?

Link?

You can get the APK from their site, no Play needed, it even autoupdates.

The crypto thing? That has Onion routing that’s not Tor? That uses Google Push so it can’t yet be in F-Droid?

The app does that, no F-Droid involved. IIRC even Telegram has that.

I have seen some video online and majority of the people like fdroid but there are many people blaming fdroid for lowering security .

One might say “because they are jelly on F-Droids success” but jokes aside read Privacy On Phone

Break the loop! :laughing:

The guy made some fair points against
F-Droid, eslecially in what they lack to make to make things better EXCEPT, i dont recall seeing a mention about how f-droid is a small voluntary group while Google & Apple are Umbrella companies worth trillions.
Also, Google has trackers in every one of their apps plus others distributed on their store and he seriously had the nerve to talk about how apps cant help/remove or block trackers?

Heres the thing, none of this is new. Us older generations (in case some are younger) went through this with Computers very early on. Microsoft (The closed source) was allowing their software makers to include malicious virus & trojans to apparently combat pirating.
Barely anyone knew about it until that gaming company that made addons for microsofts flight simulators i believe it was had an error with their “anti-pirating” trojan which wiped tons of their customers drives.
But many of us knew all about it but the time i thought pdople might have started paying attention, smartphones came along and of course we were crazy conspiracists again lol

He tried to soften what GSF could do also.
Hd mentioned the OTA updates without needing our appproval sure.
Most noticed Google could do this when a covid exposure app magically appeared in their settings. Idgaf what anyone says, if i can upgrade a new software feature into your OS like that remotely, then i can control your phone like its in my hand by just implementing ol’ script kiddy trojan/rat code in there.

To be perfectly honest, and here is the main point of mine. F-Droid offers FOSS only, so you or others can always see for yourself or get an experienced programmers approval if you want. In some cases I do get the developer version over f-droids but thats because in those cases i actually know the dev much better.

Now, Google and ESPECIALLY not Apple will let you look through their code to audit it. And thats what makes ghe biggest diffence too me.

If he had offered some solutions maybe instead of just kissing Googles ass and refrencing GrapheneOS which while great only supports 1 line of phones, then it wouldnt have been bad. Too me, he just wasted everyones time. Bugs have always been around as well as malicious attacks which even those smart big tech companies have yet to solve so honestly it was basically a scare tactic to those with less tech knowledge.

Btw, Google has been robbed of VOIP and Google Fi services so easily lmao
But hey, they make more than they lose by selling your data so i justified ir.

Sorry for my crappy type job, tried to do this quickly using a stylus.

We should stop whining about privacy, as long as we are not ready to pay for it.

One guy with a BIG MOUTH berates entities that ‘mark up’ their product. Dah! That’s how they put bread on their plates.

The same guy, who is all over F-Droid and Reddit, berates other developments and promotes his own and very questionable one. He claims such and such kernel was releaseed in 2018. Let’s take a look at his ‘own’ work:

His ‘software’ is lineage with a layer of some hardening commits. He has no control over Lineage’s code and in most cases, Lineages kernels are over 1-2 year old, i.e., outdated.

Example: Lineage’s kernel for Oneplus 8s is 4.19.157 ( https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_oneplus_sm8250/blob/lineage-19.1/Makefile). The current upstream version is 4.19.257. That’s almost 2 years of skipping updates, and that is true for most of their kernels.

And here is updated upstream kernel, 4.19.257: https://android-review.googlesource.com/c/kernel/common/+/2213237/1

And by the way, it DOES NOT matter when kernel was released. What matters is that it is actively maintained.