Phones ideal for F-Droid and is Android Go, F-Droid compatible?

In that case just search the forum, if there’s a problem you’ll likely see someone bring it forward.

1 Like

There’s the rub. The forum info is inconclusive. Like Android Go, the posts trail off on whether F-Droid actually works with it.

1 Like

It’s true each app is built with a specific version of build tools and a target Android version. But it’s also true that each new Android versions has an admirable level of retro-compatibility with apps built with older build tools to target older Android versions. That means: one could have built an app 5 years ago for Android whatever and still running it fine with the latest Android version. (To my trained knowledge and also in my own experience)

Anyway, the most common case is the least complex one: an app built for the latter Android version running in the newest Android version. F-Droid falls into this group, since it’s continually updated.

I fail to see what’s the problem with Android upgrades, unless they boicot F-Droid directly or mess with some of the Android SDK’s APIs. In which case, by the way, F-Droid wouldn’t be the only affected, and if they ship Google Mobile Services, they won’t be allowed to release that version to the customers because it wouldn’t pass the GMS Compatibility Test Suite.

Maybe I’ve missed something: do you have a source for Pine64 officially supporting F-Droid in their PinePhones?¹ That’d be interesting. Specially since they don’t run Android by default, but a variety of GNU/Linux distros.

Again, I fail to see why a manufacturer needs to bless F-Droid for running in a device that runs any app that properly uses the Android SDK APIs and have been built with the proper build tools.

Anyway, if you want a name, Fairphone has a Fairphone Open official alternative OS for their FP2 model which doesn’t include Google spyware (i.e. GMS) and includes F-Droid and F-Droid Privileged Extension by default. That’s not a community toy, it’s an officially supported product (i.e. you can open Support tickets).

¹= which is weird itself, since PinePhones are tagged as “community devices,” not commodities or end-user products, but anyway

1 Like

@Roboe Fairphone is only for the European market. Last I checked, they will not sell to North America, unless you proxy buy. It is important for a company to state support for F-Droid. Most companies want you to use Google Play and prohibit side-loading, which means more control (for companies, not users). As for PinePhone, the idea is that you CAN install Android (or whatever) on their phones, tablets, laptops et al–if you want. That is the crux, choice, or lack thereof in these coke/pepsi times. Perhaps FairPhone or a clone will arrive in North America. There is the Purism phone, but that is expensive. I would rather blow that kind of cash on a laptop, but that is me (still prefer to keep it three digits). Some people I know do drop four digits on a phone without sweating it. I do like your idea of getting older phones with older Androids, yesteryear’s stuff, which is probably just as good. Or even better, an Ubuntu Phone or Jolla or whatever…but they are hard to find or overpriced.

Android Go is interesting (to me) because it is on the affordable end of the market. If anyone has an answer, let me know.

For the record, I didn’t say that. Don’t infer that from the 2015 Fairphone 2 either.

Do your research, old firmware may have major security bugs. I don’t know enough about Fairphone but they look more ethical than most. You might have found me my next phone! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@mouser I was coming here to research.

@Roboe Well, then it’s my idea, even better. Your words “retro” and “old” helped percolate that. Thanks.

@MAU Read what @mouser said above with proper attention. I’m all about restoring old phones (e.j. with postmarketOS), but not doing so for daily drivers because of vulnerable firmware that can’t be patched (since it’s opaque).

And newer phones don’t have vulnerabilities? The closed source system is a problem with all mainstream phones. Which is why we need more mature, open systems. If you listen to people like McAfee, sure he is a nut job, but when it comes to tech security, I believe him. All these new devices are vulnerable. It is just degrees of risk you are willing to mitigate. So your phone gets PWND, but you have nothing important on it, so you mitigate that way. However, if you install whatever game or app, willy nilly off of Google play, devs have access to a lot of stuff on the user they should not. Hence F-Droid. I have no illusion of safety for newer devices.

That’s fair, go wireless AND trustless :wink:

1 Like

Or just blindly accept the corporate line and trust things are secure because others say so and there is no way to really verify. That’s cool.

I mean, I could get a Sony mentioned on this forum and we all know Sony has an excellent reputation and history of respecting the user. I mean, they NEVER put a rootkit on their consumer products, ever.

Phones officially supported by LineageOS, /e/ or GrapheneOS are always a good choice:

• Up to date (Android & scurity patches)
  • No bloatware from OEM
  • Google free

LineageOS has the most supported devices. >https://lineageos.org/ Device list: Devices | LineageOS Wiki
/e/ is a fork from LineageOS with privacy focus using MicroG (open-source replacement for Google Play Service). >https://e.foundation
GrapheneOS has a focus on security and privacy. >https://grapheneos.org/

Anything for North Americans?

There is the Fairphone, and your phone and these guys: https://tehnoetic.com/

The one you mention costs almost as much as Purism when you factor in the exchange rates.

Pixel with GrapheneOS >Frequently Asked Questions | GrapheneOS

Okay, so I get an old Android phone, become a phone proctologist, then run the risk of the device getting bricked for an imperfect OS. Even Ubuntu admits that only a couple of devices runs smooth with their OS, when transplanted. I’ll wait.

1 Like

It’s hard to hard brick a device, and specially older ones, you have a lot documentation about such cases. But yeah, it’s a possibility.

2 Likes

I like the idea of getting an Ubuntu Phone or a Graphene phone or whatever. I can wait and save my pennies in a jar for a while then eventually I can get one of these things. Something not made by children and/or other slaves in factories.

These are made in Germany:

https://www.gigaset.com/hq_en/smartphones/

But of course, they refuse to sell to North Americans, because we’re ***holes. But they say their phones work great in North America.

1 Like

Anyone know if F-Droid can be installed on the new Blackberry Android phones? Or is it so secure that only Google Play spyware can be installed?

If anyone wants Blackview/Cubot has good AOSP/GSI treble support - some also have android go. But I recommend get anything at least with 2 GB RAM. 1 GB (for android go - until version 10) is too meagre and many websites needs so much RAM.

Look in github/phhusson/wiki.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.