Non-standard development tools

I had to create another merge request (3727) because the app failed to build after being merged before. It turned out that PyCrypto was not found by the build script, so I added that as a srclib. I hope there are no other build dependencies that I have missed! Maybe I should be running fdroid build in a clean chroot to test for this kind of problem?

You can use makebuildserver to create a VM similar to what we use to build the apps.
Then you can run fdroid build --server to build the app inside this VM (but it is much slower than a local build).

Thanks. I’ll try the workaround you suggested in the merge request and update the patch.

I think it should work now. I’m a bit worried that the icon generation might work incorrectly, so that is something I might have to fix later.

Yay, it landed! :grinning: Thanks for all your help, @Rudloff and @Licaon_Kter.

Oh, the icons. :open_mouth:

I guess I’ll have something to do tomorrow. :wink:

1 Like

The SVG I was using for the launcher icon was too complex or maybe just invalid, so I simplified it and tested that cairosvg could convert it to a PNG on my development machine. This meant creating a new version - actually, two new versions because I forgot to update some metadata in the application itself after tagging the first one. Anyway, merge request 3823 should add the current version to the fdroiddata repo.

The change worked and the launch icon is now fixed. It can be seen on the app’s overview page. Thanks to @Rudloff and @Licaon_Kter for their help guiding me through this process, and to everyone for their encouragement.

2 Likes

Since I keep updating the application, I thought I should add Auto Update Mode metadata for it. However, because I don’t use gradle or have an AndroidManifest.xml file. From the Metadata Reference it would seem that I have to use the HTTP mode.

Would it be best to keep a file in the repository containing the current version number and reference that using the Update Check Data field?

Yep, this should work.

Another option is to add a fake build.gradle or AndroidManifest.xml that only defines app ID, version name and version code.

“Tags” method of updates checking is more reliable than “HTTP”.

The only worry I have about including fake build.gradle or AndroidManifest.xml files is that people might try to use them to build the project and get confused.

I’ll experiment with an fdroiddata checkout later today and see if I can get something to work.

Thanks for your advice. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.