No internet? Catch Second Wind? (Another F-Droid Repo)

What sense does it make? Many, if not most, of the apps want full network permission. A lot, if not most, are already in “main” F-Droid repo. Did I miss the instructions to be sure to download the needed offline data before the Typhoon hits (e.g. OsmAnd)?

So what is the point, really? Did somebody get funding to make a new repo with their favorite apps??

With the breakage of Tor Browser with Orbot full VPN mode, it’s making me wonder… Is the real purpose of Tor and Guardian projects to spread doubt and confusion?

Notes on Apps highlighted on page, https://secondwind.guardianproject.info/ , follow:

OsmAnd - full network, already in F-Droid

Trailsense - already in F-Droid

Stop-o-moto - Not in Wind Repo, already in F-Droid, 3 years old

Umbrella - full network

Briar - full network obv., Not in Wind Repo, already in F-Droid

Maps - full network ? Shows up as Unknown application, added August 2020

Medic Log - Already in F-Droid
or MediLog in Wind repo - full network

Proof Mode - full network

Noice - full network?, Already in F-Droid (Google play billing service?)

CrossWords - full network, Already in F-Droid

Planisphere - Not really in Wind repo, Already in F-Droid

MineSweeper and Solitare - Not really in Wind repo?

1 Like

I don’t really know the purpose of this either, but I want to mention a point I think you’re missing:

OsmAnd needs internet to download maps but after that can work fully offline. So after initial setup, no network needed.

Both of these apps can function completely over Bluetooth, so no internet needed.

1 Like

Secret levels found 1/1

Good job @anon46495926

2 Likes

after that can work fully offline. So after initial setup, no network needed.

Thanks, but well aware, right above:

Did I miss the instructions to be sure to download the needed offline data before the Typhoon hits (e.g. OsmAnd)?

Previously:

OsmAnd~, and a couple GigaBytes of offline data files

(Ref. Quelles sont pour vous les 10 meilleures applications à avoir sur F-Droid? - #5 by anon46495926 )

However, I still feel a little paranoid seeing network traffic every time I start OsmAnd, after turning off every related setting I can find. And some maps and wikipedia data files get updates almost once a month. Not paranoid enough to use Airplane mode, but a little. :smiley:

Briar
over Bluetooth, so no internet needed.

Always get a LOL imagining people Briar’ing within Bluetooth range. :laughing: But yeah, maybe it has applications behind barriers at protests and front lines, if you forgot your short range radios.

Bigger LOL from naming: Why didn’t they call it Passing Wind?

2 Likes

Oops I can’t read apparently :slight_smile:

I am surprised they went with OsmAnd and not Organic Maps, but hey, I barely know what they are so I’m not the target audience (I hope) :slight_smile:

AFAIK Briar can pass things between devices so if you send a message to someone and someone else gets in your range, catches the message, and eventually reaches the other person, the message should get delivered.

2 Likes

It has been a while, but last I checked Crosswords would send your phone number to their server.
:frowning:

@TheLastProject

Organic Maps

The project appears quite dated and they chose Maps, which is Axen’s fork of maps.me before Organic Maps existed.

1 Like

Do you have more info about this by any chance? Would be a good thing to have researched and if needed marked as antifeature or so.

1 Like

I think the real purpose of yourself is to spread doubt and confusion

1 Like

In app/src/main/java/org/eehouse/android/xw4/NetLaunchInfo.java line 588:

ub.appendQueryParameter( BTADDR_KEY, shorten(btAddress) );
ub.appendQueryParameter( PHONE_KEY, phone );
ub.appendQueryParameter( P2P_MAC_KEY, p2pMacAddress );

it is also over HTTP, not HTTPS per line 593.

1 Like

Looks pretty active:

@LitKale

The project appears quite dated and they chose Maps,

I mean this linked website, Second Wind, looks like it predates the existence of Organic Maps.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.