I've degoogled Signal Messenger

Hello tw-hx

I can confirm that your patched version 5.2.3.0-Foss is been installed and working perfectly on my GrapheneOS (Android 11).
Thank you very much and really appreciated your project. All the best

1 Like

great thank you very much @tw-hx is working now :slight_smile:

1 Like

No matter. I’ve removed the OWS APK from my server and replaced it with yours, and I have an automated update scheme set up that should notify me within a few hours if you push an update to GitHub Releases.

1 Like

I’ve pushed 5.3.9.0-FOSS which now supports facial recognition for blurring faces. Thanks to Signal upstream devs who have removed the propretary Firebase ML Vision and now use Android’s inbuilt FaceDetector. This means there’s now feature parity between this fork and mainstream Signal.

F-DROID REPOSITORY

Keeping @EmberHeartshine company :slight_smile:

https://fdroid.twinhelix.com/fdroid/repo?fingerprint=7B03B0232209B21B10A30A63897D3C6BCA4F58FE29BC3477E8E3D8CF8E304028

This is linked from the project website with a QR code: Signal-FOSS - TwinHelix

1 Like

I’m trying Signal FOSS. Works perfectly. Many thanks for your work.

1 Like

Hi tw-hx,

First of all thank you very much for your efforts on this project. I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately I haven’t been successful in running signal-FLOSS on my GrapheneOS device. I did succceed in installing it, though, but encountered a reCaptcha! I found that quite disturbing since I expected no google-sh*t. Furthermore, I never came by it, as it kept and kept throwing new reCaptchas after me. I believe I tried twenty or more.

Not succeeding might - or might not - be related to the fact that I am on an outdated version, i.e. Google Pixel 2. Do you think that’s related?

And is there a good explanation for the reCaptcha thing running on my degooglised mobile (tentatively) running a degooglised version of signal?

I am looking forward to make it all work. Thanks

EDIT: I installed it through your f-droid repo.

Sorry to hear @gnubahn! I had a look through the Signal codebase and the captcha stuff doesn’t really touch much of the Google client-side Java code; a registration attempt can sometimes be met with a captcha request from Signal’s server and it runs a Signal webpage in a webview until it gets back a special URL indicating success with a token. I’ve not touched this code as it’s not really a client-side decision.

Potentially this could be that GrapheneOS uses its own “Vanadium” fork of Chromium with security and privacy enhancements; at times on desktop I’ve had neverending captchas because of browser security setttings.

You could try a different IP address (4G? WiFi? Nearby library or friend’s house?) to see if that’s a less “suspicious” source and wouldn’t trigger the CAPTCHA. Not sure about phone model, a Pixel 2 ought to be fine. Or give the Signal website build a go, enable backups, then switch back over to this one?

It got it to work.

What you said about my phone being regarded as a “suspicious” source made me think that perhaps the problem stems from the use of Orbot in VPN mode. I switched it of and installed signal-Floss with ease - but I still had to do a couple of reCaptcha rounds.

Signal-FLOSS now runs fine - so far. Thanks.
And Orbot is back in VPN mode as well.

Later I will try in wi-fi only mode (I can’t seem to find where to enable calling through wi-fi)

Location: When trying to send someone my location, I get to choose and send it via googlemaps.

I was under the impression that signal-FLOSS is able to use openstreetmap?

Good to hear it’s working. It does use OSM via osmdroid but the main Signal codebase hardcodes a Google Map URL for sharing, I’ve not altered that part as trying to touch the main codebase as little as possible and keep all code in a library.

So if I send my location, it will be send via OSM?

Nope, that is un-mistakenly a googlemaps link!

I’m away at the moment but the location is picked and viewed using OSM in-app in this build (if you click on the map picture), but the text is still a Google Map link, might change its display in the future but there’s nothing I can do about the wire protocol. Your recipient will still likely see it using Google Maps if using official Signal.

Man, just want to say thank you for your work. I really appreciate it, and I think it’s important for the entire foss community. Thanks!

1 Like

Updated to 5.4.12.0-FOSS, have changed the map link URL to point to openstreetmap.org :slight_smile: . Haven’t yet updated the F-Droid repo, will soon unless anyone reckons there’s a problem!

1 Like

Hi

Just tried installing your app on xiaomi phone with MIUI android

Automatic OS scan reported your app version as a trojan

Could you explain why?

Just scanned on a few online scanners, everything checks out:

Do you know what the report is? Are there any details?

Just tried myself with apk from website: Signal-FOSS - TwinHelix

virustotal seems only 1 thread out of many:

on jotti looks fine:
https://virusscan.jotti.org/en-US/filescanjob/jkexw6tgcf

kaspersky is fine too:

I’ll try to get actual apk from the phone (distributed by fdroid repository) and repeat

I’ve seen this message about visrus while installing on MIUI device

Those chineese phones get some automatic virus scanner that check every app installed on phone

It produced warning that signall-foss apk distributed by fdroid repository is trojan

I have no clue if that chineese scanner works as intended neither, will dig into it