How to avoid obscurantist propaganda on F-Droid app?

I addressed the digression immediately, and the second example was pretty accurate/pertinent.
In the other hand, if you check the criminal records - historical and present - of catholic church, zionism, etc., you’ll find not-too-much they can envy to nazism…

Anyway, this is not the point of the thread.

Anyone can have all the fairy-tale-holy-demonic-homophobic-primitivismic-propaganda apps they want in their own F-Droid app, I don’t want to do nothing about that. All I’m looking for is a way to stop having to swallow it in my own app. I think this has been once and again misinterpreted.

And of course: if I were able right now to fork the F-Droid code, modify it, compile it, or even run my own server - and whatever other “solutions” some people throwed in some comments - I would have done it already…

Thanks a lot for your time, sincerely.

1 Like

EDIT: Thanks @Roboe. I linked to two articles, previously (here and here). They actually do intend for it to be permanent.

However you are right about the “not Universal” aspect. Coming across this by the Basic Income Earth Network I took the time to read the above Business Insider article in full. It has corrections. There will be some assessing of “circumstances” (aka means-testing) at this stage, likely leading to billions of wasted dollars in that process. In Australia we waste about $100 billion worth of resources judging people’s incomes, doing all the means-testing, enforcement of job-seeking, investigations etc. Those processes are continually being more and more privatised also!

Although it’s not quite full UBI, it is a European country questioning seriously the problems associated with forced labour, automation, volunteering etc. It’s a step in the right direction (for a change).

It’s also very interesting that the BBC and (Australia’s) ABC completely ignored this development. :wink:

This is might be a fix for the very tech savvy. But not aimed at the average user or new-ish users, (EDIT) who just wants the ability to mute an app from the Updates screen.

EDIT:

It sounds like this person just wants the ability to mute an app from the Updates screen. Maybe its not necessary to include a seperate menu item for muting an app from searches…?

(You’d probably want a way to scroll through muted apps to Unmute them… maybe accessible in the settings under a basic heading “Muted apps”.)

EDIT/EDIT: We get a mute button on a TV remote, this is the equivalent for software. No one in the media got particularly riled up that their speech was being violated, that I know of.

2 Likes

As a Christian myself, i could go in debate, but that’s not the main topic and the right place to do this. :thinking:

Yes, there’s a lot wrong in the church. But also outside the church. And good. But now you’re advocating some kind of exclusion you accuse religious people of …

A bit ironic, isn’t it?

6 Likes

You see those apps you begrudge not because any entity is seeking to force them upon you, but because apps are presented according to certein neutral criteria, such as time, alphabetical order, categories. The internet is about vying for your attention. Fdroid allows this in a civilized and respectful manner, enabling a platform that is as open and accessible as possible. Hence “open-source”. I hope you are not intent on fanatically descending into the same abyss of stubborn righteousness and tyranny as some religions and sects have been throughout the centuries.

2 Likes

It’s about getting what you need. The vying for attention is a side effect (advertising is an anti-feature on F-Droid : ) Also the purpose of updating an app should be to improve it, not to vie for attention.

It appears that noone is refuting the chosen solution to have an ability to mute individual apps from the Updates screen (on their own device).

3 Likes

Well, I have to admit, while initially opposed, I do see how this feature could be used in a good way. It could be useful for more than the currently debated purpose. As long as each individual can only mute the display of apps on their own phone.

Edit: another option is to also have the ability to change the settings in your app so you don’t see new/updated apps. Perhaps instead going to app categorize or your app updates by default. It could be a toggle option.

I still think the proposed solution is best, just an extra feature suggestion.

2 Likes

+1 to have the possibility to filter out apps we don’t want to see, for whatever reason that might be. I think that’s the most inclusive answer possible to resolve this issue.

6 Likes

Option to hide certain apps entirely (#1908) · Issues · F-Droid / Client · GitLab add your :+1:

3 Likes

As a side note, I just tested this out on G-Droid. For those who need this feature sooner, I don’t know how good the rest of G-Droid is, but that already has the “hide app” function, for those who need it.

EDIT: G-Droid crashes trying to install any app on my phone. So, maybe it’s not a good alternative, depending on your phone.

Most apps on this platform and indeed elsewhere have names that are somewhat creative or in some way not simply banal descriptions. Should we disallow that kind of thing?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.