How do I search on f-droid.org from now on?

It’s not possible to search apps on f-droid.org for the moment. When will you add back that feature?

We have a working search on our test server (http://fdroid.gitlab.io/fdroid-website) and will be rolling it out to the live site at the next opportunity. This doesn’t mean tomorrow, due to the small, busy, and volunteer nature of our team. However I hope that we can get it out sooner rather than later.

1 Like

Can you please put the link at the top of f-drod.org and say “Click here to search” meanwhile?

The search field in F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository that you gave me don’t work! Can you please fix it ASAP?

Hey, could you please provide some more detail? I’d love to help ensure that it works for everyone:

• Do you have JavaScript enabled in your browser? (See this issue, we are going to add a non-JS search)
  • Which browser (and what version) are you using?
  • Have you tried another browser? If so, which browser, and did it work?
  • Can you see the “Find Apps” heading on the top right of the page?
  • Can you see a text input below that?
  • When you type in that input (if you can), does it show anything at all?
  • Does it show results, but not the results you expected? If so, what did you search, what did you expect?

Answers to any of those would be greatly appreciated, and would help me and others diagnose what is going on.

Use fossdroid.org in the meanwhile

• Do you have JavaScript enabled in your browser? (See this issue, we are going to add a non-JS search): Yes
  • Which browser (and what version) are you using? GNU IceCat 52.1.2 (its based on Firefox ESR 52.1.2) – You can download both in binary form an execute then out of the box.
  • Have you tried another browser? If so, which browser, and did it work? No I couldn’t use another browser due to this bug: F-droid.org looks Japanese in Epiphany 3.10.3
  • Can you see the “Find Apps” heading on the top right of the page?: Yes
  • Can you see a text input below that?: Yes
  • When you type in that input (if you can), does it show anything at all?: Yes
  • Does it show results, but not the results you expected? If so, what did you search, what did you expect?: No results at all

Also I expect a Search button, I only see the form. See the screenshot:

Okay, so thats weird. Here is how it looks on my Firefox 52.2:

If you open the developer console (F12) and navigate to the “Web Console” tab, do you notice any errors that may be able to help us debug?

so there won’t be a designated page for the search? The new search can be hardly used to discover new apps. Like try to search for ‘music player’, on the fdorid page you will only be listed a couple of app and in the fdroid app you can find a lot more.

I also just wondered how the api should be implemented for the duckduckgo bang (!fdroid) for example.

Actually that works for me too now. It didn’t before. But can you please add a search button?

Also make sure your new website is compatible with GNU LibreJS.

Sorry. but I also don’t see neither any search field nor buttun in yout site .
This is a screenshot a few seconds ago.

Indicate me please, where can the search field be found there?
In the F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository when I type in the search field and then press ‘enter’ nothing happens: search does not work.

My understanding is that the search function is only available on the experimental site. You should see a generated list of results as you begin typing, as in the gif above. Make sure some addon is not blocking javascript.

For me the search button within the wiki: https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/Category:Apps is another option.

We now have searching on the live site https://f-droid.org/.

Thanks for your patience all. Please note that we are still working on the following:

• It requires JavaScript (see fdroid-website#82 for discussion on implementing a non-JS version via startpage.com or similar).
  • It only shows the top 10 results for a search (see fdroid-website#98 for discussion on dedicated search page with all results).
1 Like

I could not find: Clock+

Thanks @David_Hedlund, I’ve created an issue for this. The curious thing is that if I search for “Clock” then “Clock+” shows up in the results, as described in the issue.

Thank you, yeah it deserves a separate issue.

Hello,
first of all many thanks for the job you’re doing.
Overall i like the new website, but in my opinion searching for apps, or better, finding apps has become really difficult now.
When i try to search an app usually i don’t find it (due to the top 10 limitation) and i have to manually browse a lot of pages in the browse section before finding what i’m looking for.
Could you please at least add the possibility to filter them by categories again?

Many thanks.

@pserwylo already has a new version of the website with a separate search page ready, although it’s not merged in master yet. Feel free to test and comment in the merge request in GitLab.