Future of Firefox for Android after the new GUI becomes stable

Very recently Mozilla has launched version 75.0 of Firefox (Fennec) Beta, with the whole new GeckoView GUI and a lot of improvements in terms of privacy, security and functionality. I really love the work that has been done, since I really felt that the old version lacked a lot of options when it comes to customization, but at the same time they do an awful job at having a release channel where there aren’t Google services for Android, they offer a .APK release on their web site (which is pretty hidden, though) but with this way you can auto-update or known when there’s a new update to install it yourself, and I think that trackers are still there.

Will F-Droid contributors be able to keep releasing Fennec when this version reaches stable or this will become much harder keeping in mind the whole re-construction of the application and therefore maintaining a build becomes almost impossible?
Should I start using Bromite since I’ll never going to be able to use FF without trackers?

Thanks a lot!

I think you mean “Fenix” (org.mozilla.fenix)

I’m waiting for Firefox 78 ESR

Tor Browser - nice Firefox, with proxy and uBlock Origin )

Start writing the metadata then… :slight_smile:

AFAIK that calendar only shows updates for desktop FF, or am I wrong? I am a regular Tor user, but I don’t know who that is related with my question, also, it only comes with uB O on Tails.

I don’t get what you’re saying.

Take a look at the current metadata for Firefox: metadata/org.mozilla.fennec_fdroid.yml · master · F-Droid / Data · GitLab

We need that or something like that that fixes Mozilla’s Firefox to make it truly open source.

Unfortunately I am not a developer so I can’t understand anything that’s there, so I would appreciate if you could explain the problem to me in plain English.

We can’t use the code straight from Mozilla to build a fully open-source app, so those steps are taken in order to purge analytics/tracking/useless stuff.

1 Like

Firefox 75 Beta is based on Fenix now.

Unfortunately, Fenix code heavily depends on proprietary Firebase and Leanplum libraries with no way to disable them at compile time. If nobody makes a fork of Fenix without proprietary bits, Fennec F-Droid will be gone.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.