F-Droid Twitter and Mastodon Accounts

@Bubu is it possible to have an age limit rating different on Mastodon (like 16 versus 13 for whole F-Droid project as defined in tos) so engaged people could use Mastodon/@fdroidorg, instead of forum.f-droid, for engaged discussions ?

(There is still a free warzone unlimited possibility on Reddit : https://www.reddit.com/r/fdroid/comments/cehm15/fdroids_statement_saying_they_are_dropping/ & Reddit - Dive into anything )

@hotlittelhotdog
When the post has no substance, is it an apple?

@stonerl When “system” posts, “Quoting Wikipedia” and that post is immediately closed and pinned globally, it doesn’t bode well. I would laugh if it happened anywhere else.

The ivory voiced towering decree defends network operator bans in a decentralized system because:

Most instances are nice places - others allow content that is offensive and often these instances are blocked by other instances so the users can’t communicate instance to instance.

The idea of reaching to “offensive” to support such actions is neither in support of decentralization, nor is it out of tune with being platforms that do the exact same.

The user is that pesky individual that impedes your freedom everywhere. Report him in your cup- and floorboards, make sure the user is not you!

What offensive thought, that the user should capable of deciding whom to communicate with, freely (!), and certainly to ever question F-Droid’s decision in the matter. Least not in staying with a platform that bans platforms that don’t ban Gab.

Gab is an issue of F-Droid’s creation. Not only does it live rent-free, it is renting out the blog and forum too, using the puppetry of the narrator voice, without any strings attached. And its attempted solution is to ban discussion about Gab…

we don’t allow any discussions about our decisions regarding Gab or any discussions about Gab anymore - on any of our channels.

I mean, what is a bit of censorship between partisans?

Not all F-Droid core members were happy with that instance-admin decision, but we decided there is no reason to change instance.

In a further act of misguided personality, f(reudian slippage)-Droid core members is what you will otherwise see referenced as “we”, and “the community”, or “F-Droid”.

This whole discussion has nothing to do with free speech or free software

In the age of the Internet, you don’t really see this level of brazen censorship anymore,
because of free press F-Droid bans Gab for being a “free speech zone” that will “tolerate all opinions”
and boy did F-Droid get in on the gratis nature of being non-free. Free as in free of thought.

F-Droid as a project soon celebrates its 9th birthday … staying neutral isn’t an option but instead will lead to the uprise of previously mentioned oppression and harassment against marginalized groups.

This is not not even wrong, it is a circular truth. F-Droid, the mirror is facing the mirror, not the music.

Despite compelling re-enactments of the golden age of censorship, F-Droid can’t seem to rally behind its disembodied decisions. The decisions that are made in the absence of it, pale in light of decisions to back them up being worse still. It is a spineless beast at odds with itself at every level. An authoritarian dissociation crying out as it strikes itself.

Wanting decentralization is precisely an issue of enacting tolerance by default. F-Droid seems happy to forego control and trust, to force the hidden hand of censorship to relinquish itself of those decisions that would otherwise be easy, and discussed elsewhere.

All while blaming every other angle, and tarnishing its own reputation. Basking in the nomenclature of freedom, decentralization, and community.

@kingu You’re a little late to the party don’t you think? And secondly, what the heck are you talking about?

There is no such thing as not the party, of which I am not a member, because its erection is predicated on my existence.

There wasn’t any winning move, the other half just yells “fault”.

I’ll quote myself from elsewhere…

Twitter: Conversations free on Play
Fediverse: always free on F-Droid haha
Also Fediverse: let’s doxx the F-Droid contributors because they package uncensored fediverse apps

That’s the level of the discourse “we” have to deal with.

While the “host your repo” answer is not “the bestest”, it’s decentralized to the point of making an argument of dog fooding their (your?) ideology.

Wanna decentralize everything, JUST DO IT!

And no, I don’t agree with the blogpost, I was 1000 miles away from a keyboard, in a different country trying to chill and cool of with a cold one, reading hundreds of mails of the drama unfolding on my phone. When the post dropped I was like
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

3 Likes

Is Reddit - Dive into anything an official channel?

I not like that you guys use Twitter, Reddit and Co. Those platforms heavily involved in censorship (and proprietary software).

Personal: when I see Twitter/Facebook stuff (please follow me…) on a project site, for me it’s a negative feeling (I not fully trust them anymore with FB, Twitter buttons).

1 Like

Not, it’s not.

1 Like

I think one of the reasons why we cannot be too harsh on F-Droid top contributors, is that in order to switch instances, I understand that you need to leave behind all your past toots and updates. I don’t believe ActivityPub has a method of cryptographically signing over to a new server, and having all your content move to that new server.

Another good reason why we should be confident with the top contributors is they allow easy access to the uncensored Fediverse, via at least one app.

One thing I know is true. Having loosely examined instances that do interface with Gab, I’ve not seen any major ill effects that warrant this heavy-handed approach to block Gab instances. So what I would do is ask those instances who brazenly blocked Gab, and blocked everyone they can communicate with, to slowly reopen their communication channels.

Steps toward sensible federation for an instance:

1. Drop the policy of banning instances who interface with Gab and reopen communication lines with the smaller instances who do such.
  2. In the second month, if there are no major issues, reopen communication with the larger instances who interface with Gab.
  3. In the third month, if there are no major issues, change the policy of outright banning Gab to allowing communication based on the understanding that if Gab users engage in violent, and aggressive ways that the communication lines might be re-closed for another year.

This is how a Federation should work. There should be a give-and-take process.

Yes it is a political process. Not everything political is bad. If we purge all politics from our lives completely then we perish, just like if we purge all clothes from our lives, we’ll not live very long. For those who like to call themselves Liberal, it means they end up with Tr&mp again, by default. And after Tr&mp… another Tr&mp worse than Tr&mp. Etc. (Whether they secretly want this outcome is a debate for another time)

If concerned about censorship, please refer your admin to the above steps toward sensible federation.

Memes don’t produce bad presidents, providing no meaningful alternatives to a bad president produces bad presidents.

While we are in a politics, freedom and censorship thread… FREE JULIAN ASSANGE!!

The point is that of selectively purging some actors for no good reason is the very political action that makes for it being political in the first place. If not, it neither is nor gets political, and nobody would be coming to F-Droid to complain. There is an uncensored app already, and nobody has any problems defending that.

Ostensibly, adding an app that says “Gab” would make those people happier. So it is a lot of loss to keep a policy that doesn’t make any sense at any level. Reverting this failed policy is as easy as allowing Gab so long as it isn’t just a clone. And herein is the central point. That currently isn’t even the case… Gab also didn’t fork F-Droid, but the fiasco could have been total if it did. What more could F-Droid grant Gab?

I don’t think “Tusky” makes any sense vis-a-vis freetusky, but at least they made tusky (from what I understand).

That being said, complaining about censorship from the instance F-Droid is on, is the exact problem that arises when there are censoring actors. F-Droid being one does not grant it a lot of sympathy in the matter. It is consistent with what F-Droid does, so it has no legitimacy in calling it out.

OIC. Yeah, it’s been a year and from my understanding they aren’t the great evil that it was made out to be. The only thing that actually concerns me is they are (or at least ‘were’, I don’t know if this has changed) “protected by” (or hosted on) Cloudflare (read: creepy mega corporate that seems to love collecting data, and as such, bans Tor users acting in good faith).