F-Droid Client search feature is broken

Absolutely.
But maybe we don’t agree on the meaning of “polite”.

When a you man product page2 under another another interpretation errr throw suchlife id don’t overthink it :wink:

1 Like

agree on the meaning of “polite”

And we’ve nearly reached the level of “It depends on what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is.” Bill Clinton and the meaning of “is”

:laughing:

Someone has an attempt to improve the searching via the androidx appsearch library Fdroid-appsearch-release.apk · 8d112782abb717c44f9e97209863ed391c62c8b4 · Ngenge Senior / F-Droid Client · GitLab

1 Like

No, we haven’t. I was being sarcastic. Unspas reply was anything but polite.

Nevermind.

Hello,
I just registered to reply on this threat.

I was looking for a simple contact app for my newly LineageOS for MicroG running phone installed from scratch. Not even one result containing “contacts” on the first page. Complete rubbish to be honest. Very frustrating finding all those random results. It’s like putting first gear on a car you want to drive and the car starts going backwards.

If you have plans to make it work in the future but you know it doesn’t work well at the moment why did you leave it by default? Common guys this is important.

I am lucky that I searched why the search on F-droid was so bad and I found this thread. Many others won’t do it and won’t find the “search by name” option and therefore stop using F-droid.

Thank you

1 Like

better search

Try

F-Droid Classic (F-Droid client with the classic UI) - F-Droid Classic | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

Bonus: developed on F/LOSS self-hosted gitlab.

Hello, I think this is a major issue that should be prioritized as high by the development team (if any), because F-droid is the first result for new users that want to switch to FLOSS and Search is the main feature they want to use. We need to make FLOSS more accessible to newcomers.

The Nightly has a slightly different search, not radically better but meh

1 Like

I have the same problem. Often I’ll search for something in F-Droid with the exact name, for search results I’ll first get a handful of unrelated apps, and the app I’m looking for is halfway down.

3 Likes

I knew I wasnt losing my mind; I have same problem!

2 Likes