Empowering Open-Source App Deployment- Seeking Your Feedback!

There’s definitely a demand for dedicated F-Droid repositories, especially among those who need more control over their app distribution. For instance, one of my clients from Dubai had an app which was repeatedly rejected by Google Play Store. They needed a platform where they could have complete control over their app. So, what we did was create a branded console and F-Droid client specifically for them. It was customized with their brand name, giving them and their team the ability to upload and manage their apps independently, ensuring that their users have direct access to their apps. And to be honest they are very happy untill now :slight_smile:

See currently i just launch it to test does every person needs it, and let say if i get even low response but if i get response then i am planning to grow it with help of some people and even put some people who can manually test the app before uploading on a particular brand repo, so that they can get a secure environment, i mean to say there is a lot of room or need of it, if we try to think it as not a replacement of google play store but as a another need of some group of person or organistion. (micro niche type)

one more reason can be Customized Control for Niche Apps - Imagine an app designed for a specialized industry, like a custom CRM tool for real estate agents. Such apps might not cater to a broad audience like those on Google Play Store, but they are vital for their specific user base. Having a dedicated F-Droid repository for these niche apps ensures that they are easily accessible to the right audience without getting lost in the sea of mainstream apps.

apart from this, the thing which @HenriDellal said about newpipe is correct and also Consider a healthcare app used by clinics that needs to update its database or features immediately due to new health regulations. Waiting for app store approvals could cause significant delays. A dedicated repository allows for instant updates, ensuring that users always have the latest and most crucial information.

Well for open source projects there’s also IzzyOnDroid to publish your builds quickly, but yeah I can see how a dedicated repository has its advantages.

Actually though I imagine that in this case the typical client is a closed-source company (I stupidly thought that Izzyondroid accepts closed-source apps).

And actually, it seems very likely to be used by malicious apps publishers.

Why is everyone assuming that it hosts open-source apps, have you seen the video?

sure sir, i will do this, just one request give me some time please

@Licaon_Kter

I tried to look for guidance on using the F-Droid name and I found none, is it even a registered trademark?

Using the name F-Droid for all of the F-Droid repository, the F-Droid app and the compatible repositories can lead to a big mess.
Most people when they talk of and recommend F-Droid refer to the F-Droid repository, if the same name is used for repositories of closed-source applications and (very) possibly malware you’ll get people saying “F-Droid is full of malware”.

While I’m not necessarily against hosting closed-source apps on “F-Droid repositories”, I personally think that the project subject of the thread should decimate its usage of the F-Droid (or “Fdroid”) word (which is clearly using for attracting customers).
It should say that it creates repositories accessible through the F-Droid clients, stop.

I don’t know if the project has some legal levers to enforce that, but if OP is in good faith he can do it nonetheless.

This is a commercial project (the video mentions a customized service for corporate clients) and it is obviously using the F-Droid (or Fdroid) name to attract costumers.
There’s probably nothing wrong in offering the service itself, but promoting it in this way is misleading and possibly very damaging for the F-Droid project.

(I’m not part of the project)

Thank you for raising these important points about the use of the F-Droid name and the potential implications of hosting different types of applications.

1. Respecting the F-Droid Name: I completely understand the concern about the usage of the F-Droid name. It’s not my intention to misuse or create any confusion around it. The term ‘F-Droid repository’ in our context is used to describe repositories that are compatible with the F-Droid client, not to imply any direct affiliation with the official F-Droid project.

2. Clarifying the Service: The service we provide is indeed about creating repositories accessible through F-Droid clients. Our focus is on offering a platform for developers and organizations who need more control over their app distribution, whether their apps are open-source or closed-source. The use of ‘F-Droid’ in our communication is purely descriptive, referring to compatibility and not affiliation or endorsement.

3. Addressing the Concern of Malware: We are fully aware of the risks and responsibilities that come with hosting apps, and we take them seriously. We implement stringent security measures to mitigate the risk of malware. Ensuring the integrity and security of the apps hosted through our service is a top priority.

4. Legal and Ethical Considerations: I appreciate the point about legal and ethical considerations. We’re exploring the best ways to ensure our service is clear in its purpose and does not inadvertently harm the reputation of F-Droid or any other project. I’m committed to making any necessary adjustments to our communication and branding to respect these concerns.

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings and reassures you of our commitment to ethical practices and respect for the F-Droid community. I’m grateful for your feedback and take it seriously as we strive to improve our service.

NOTE:- i have added a disclaimer also in my video description, thank-you, will add on website also asap. My intention was just to help or create something useful , i am just a individual developer and currently a small startup unwiringtech trying to solve tech issues as per my level best, sorry if it creates some misunderstanding. Thank-You

1 Like

@vichaarit

Well thank you for your kind reply, and for adding the disclaimers.

It’s up to the project members to decide about this, but since they haven’t replied yet, this is my opinion:

Suggested changes:

I’d say that on your website “Fdroid apps” should be replaced by “F-Droid repositories”.

So, from

"Deploying, and Managing Fdroid apps have never been easier
With our console service to deploy and manage fdroid apps, we take the responsibility to manage everything hard for you. Let’s deploy now.

to

Deploying, and Managing F-Droid repositories have (has) never been easier
With our console service to deploy and manage F-Droid repositories, we take the responsibility to manage everything hard for you. Let’s deploy now.

I don’t think “F-Droid apps” is a term used by F-Droid, but it definitely suggests “apps distributed by THE F-Droid repository”, not “apps distributed by some random F-Droid repository”.
I’m pretty sure everyone you’d ask it would assume it’s so.
A web search for the term supports this impression.

And apps hosted by the F-Droid repository have very peculiar properties (guaranteed open source, no proprietary dependencies, compiled and signed or verified by the F-Droid project…); the other repositories I’m aware of and especially yours lack them.
The current text can mislead users into thinking they’re getting apps with those properties (many users of the apps you host would probably go check what this fdroid.unwiringapps.com is).

Whether using the F-Droid/Fdroid term in the name of your service (“Unwiring Fdroid”) and in your subdomain is ok I don’t know, it’s up to the project members (it maybe is).

On your video description, yes the disclaimers are good, I’d still change though at least “app hosting on F-Droid” and “hosting your Android apps on F-Droid”.
Hosting an app on F-Droid definitely sounds like hosting it on the F-Droid repository, f-droid.org .

I think you could replace it with “on an F-Droid repository”, or “on a dedicated F-Droid repository”.

Maybe, ideally, the video title could be changed as well (e.g. to “Next-Level F-Droid repo hosting: etc.)”

And maybe “choosing F-Droid as your go-to platform” is not ideal either, “choosing F-Droid repositories as etc” would be clearer.

With those changes the disclaimers might become superfluous.

Malware:

I guess that what you said means you’ll take down apps reported as malware.
You should probably (first of all to protect yourself) write a policy declaring what kinds of apps are forbidden; e.g. are scamming apps allowed, can they do what they want with users’ data, etc.
And, for transparency, you should describe what kind of review or moderation you perform; if as I believe you don’t do any, or only perform occasional checks, it’s perfectly fine (I think); it’s just appropriate to declare it clearly.

Ok, again this is just my personal opinion, you should probably wait to hear from a project member.

1 Like

First and foremost, I want to express my sincere gratitude for your detailed and thoughtful feedback. I really appreciate the time and effort you’ve taken to guide me through these important considerations. Your insights are invaluable and have provided a clearer perspective on how we can improve our communication and services.

You are absolutely right about the suggestions you’ve made. The term ‘F-Droid apps’ does indeed suggest apps distributed by the official F-Droid repository, and this could lead to confusion. I will promptly make the changes on our website to replace ‘Fdroid apps’ with ‘F-Droid repositories’, to accurately reflect the services we offer and to avoid any misunderstanding.

Regarding the video description and title, your points are well-taken. The use of ‘hosting on F-Droid’ could be misconstrued as hosting on the official F-Droid repository. I will revise this to ‘hosting on an F-Droid repository’ or ‘a dedicated F-Droid repository’, which is more precise and aligns better with our services. I will also review the video title and other content to ensure clarity and accuracy.

I also acknowledge your points about malware and the importance of a clear policy regarding app content and moderation. This is something I am taking seriously, and I plan to develop and publish a policy that outlines the types of apps that are permissible, as well as our approach to moderation and review, for transparency and protection.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback. I am committed to making these changes as soon as possible and to continuing to improve our service. I look forward to any further advice or input, especially from project members, as we progress.

1 Like

Well that’s great thank you :smile:

1 Like

I’ve literally pointed what @vichaarit should do in my very first post :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, but that was just a post on a forum.
I meant (and should have said) official and hopefully legally binding guidance somewhere on the site.

I didn’t know much about trademark law, I looked it up though and you don’t need the trademark to be registered (which costs a lot) to have rights on it

@Licaon_Kter , @gbfd

First of all, I’d like to extend my sincerest apologies for all the delays in updating the website from my side; I’ve been quite occupied with client apps.
Now, I’m thrilled to share that I’ve finally updated my website, incorporating all the valuable suggestions provided. A huge thank you to everyone involved for your patience, support, and insightful feedback. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.