DivestOS: long term device support with enhanced privacy and security

Hi @m1k

Thank you for the logs!
I just uploaded a new build which should hopefully fix all of the that.

Please give it a try.

@fossys
A lot of the time it is something really simple that causes a lot of breakage.
For klte it was 1 patch. For dragon it was 1 patch. etc.
Narrowing down is a reasonably easy process, but like you say it goes quick once you have the device.
These new devices are cost prohibitive for me to purchase. Older devices I can sometimes get for <$50, but I cannot justify buying $150, $200, $300+ devices. Both because they will sit unused and will destroy my wallet.

Another issue: Going price for a Nexus 10 on eBay is $70-$100.
Yet you can get a Google Pixel C for $130 or a Nexus 9 for $90. Both are far more powerful devices… why waste money on such an old and slow one?

I would like to see people who have devices that are untested contribute to the project, even if it is just providing many logs. However in cases where the device doesn’t boot it is hard to get logs. And “telephone tag” of me making debug builds and the person testing can drag an hour long process into a month.

Ultimately people with the skills/time and generosity need to contribute if they want to see their device working on DivestOS.

Nexus 10 was cleanly reset via recovery.

2021-03-26 manta ROM makes the tablet stuck in an

“Encrypting.
Wait while your device is being encrypted. 100%”

loop upon the first boot right after the boot animation,
although sound can be set, screenshots taken, power menu invoked.

It’s been like this for 48 hours straight.

What use cases are there for a powerful Android tablet, apart from video games, HQ videos and multi-tabbed web browsing?

@m1k

Encrypting.

If you have access to fastboot can you fastboot erase data and try again? Nothing I changed should’ve broken what was already working.

48 hours straight.

After 20 minutes you can be sure no more progress will be made.

powerful Android

On a device with 2GB of RAM, 2 windows in Fenix with uBO + another active app in the background such as Conversations: switching will cause one of them to restart/reload.
The extra GB of RAM helps a lot and prevents that.

I daily drove a Nexus 4 for all of 2019, and I am happy that it was a usable experience. But I won’t turn away the sheer performance of newer chipsets like the SD825 and SD835.
Apps open instantly instead of many seconds.

My point was I’d like to know why manta doesn’t work, but I cannot justify spending money on an old and slow tablet when newer and faster ones cost the same.
Another example: for a while (pre-covid) a used Nexus 5 was the same price as a used Google Pixel, absolute insanity.

Price/performance isn’t a metric I overlook.

Nexus 10 was flashed back to stock (prior to reading the fastboot erase data suggestion) and re-flashed once again to the latest 2021-03-26 DivestOS ROM.

And generally it worked with network connection functionality, plus audio, present.

Shuttered pixel dungeon works fine.

Though,

• it shows only 1.1G of memory present
  • neither newpipe, nor skytube, nor mull will play videos
    (although, bromite and mpv can play 1080p from youtube)

Thank you for the prompt fix!
__

Now with additional software components enabled the tablet shows its age. It loads stuff slowly and there was a constant reloading of initial settings screen of Aurora Store with ~OSMand on background (the first time I’ve experienced the kind of error on Android).

Nexus 10 has a certain aesthetic (Nexus 4 does, too) that makes the device tempting to handle. The device reaching a point of technical obsolescence is a bit of pain.

And its a bit of a pain to restrict oneself to just a subset of potentially available functionality, i.e. to book reading in this case.

Not having the skills needed coupled with a shortage of time I won’t be able to contribute, so I’ll just sell the Nexus.
__

One can be considerate and plan ahead with slow device usage, but in a heat of a moment a responsive system helps a lot.
__

Being reasonable about price/performance is, well, reasonable.

1 Like

Samsung Galaxy S4 (jfltexx) : DivestOS 18.1 / 11.0 / R

Clean install divested-18.1-20210413-dos via TWRP 3.5.2_9-0
Boots up permanently until DivestOS-bootanimation works, then no further.
Factory reset and deleting caches does not help either.

By the way

By the way: LOS 18.1 works perfectly.

Does the 17.1 build for jfltexx boot?

Actually thinking about it, the jfltexx 18.1 build had issues compiling as it kept hitting the space limit for its /system.
I will make a fresh build and see if that is better.
Edit: A fresh jfltexx 18.1 20210414 is up and is 14MB smaller :eyes:.

Thank you, but unfortunately no change from version 18.1-20210413, which means S4 (jfltexx) boots up to the animated DivestOS bootlogo, which actively changes colour, but doesn’t progress any further.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (jfltexx) : DivestOS 17.1 / 10.0 / Q

Identical problem with build divested-17.1-20210411-dos-jfltexx

By the way

Both LOS releases boot without problems and work fine:

lineage-17.1-20210329-microG-jfltexx
lineage-18.1-20210408-nightly-jfltexx-signed

@fossys
I have uploaded a new 2nd jfltexx 20210414 18.1 build.
It should hopefully fix boot.
Please factory reset first.
Thank you for taking time to test.

Yeah, now the system starts up and can be set up.

Screenshots

¹ It is after midnight 00:09 CEST

Due to lack of time¹ I’ve to postpone detailed tests until the next few days.

1 Like

LG G3 INTL (d855) | DivestOS 18.1 / 11.0 / R

Clean install divested-18.1-20210414-dos-d855 via TWRP 3.5.2_9-0-d855

The ‘d855’ system starts up without a hitch and can be set up as it should be.

Screenshots

¹ It is after midnight 00:31 CEST

Due to lack of time¹ I have to postpone detailed tests until the next few days. As the ‘d855’ with the LG G5 ‘h850’ is one of my favourite toys, you can be sure that I will not only watch your ROMs :o))

I’ve always supported your work voluntarily and very gladly, even if my initial criticism was harsh. But I take my hat off to your tenacity and perseverance - and so I do what I can. While my time is short, I’ve several different devices, and I also enjoy testing. So we have a win-win situation.

The LG G5 ‘h850’ is next. It already runs under LOS 18.1. I wish Lineage-for-microG would also release another 18.1, because it allows me to use apps that otherwise only work with GApps.

1 Like

LG G5 INTL (h850) | DivestOS 18.1 / 11.0 / R

Clean install divested-18.1-20210413-dos-h850 ~ Divest-Recovery Version 18.1 (20210413)

Yes, yes, yes! DOS 18.1 boots, encrypts the phone for a noticeable time (the green robo is displayed for entertainment) and then starts through the initial setup.

There isn’t enough time for more today. What I noticed immediately, however, is that DivestOS 18.1 takes 25-30 seconds longer to boot than LineageOS 18.1.

Screenshot

LG G5 INTL (h850) | DivestOS 18.1 / 11.0 / R

One more remark about Divest-Recovery …

Divest-Recovery

It is good that there are alternatives to TWRP Recovery. But the already reduced functionality of Lineage-Recovery compared to TWRP Recovery is reduced even more with Divest-Recovery.

There is no possibility to format the ‘system partition’ under the heading ‘Factory reset’.

I particularly miss the option to flash from internal storage under the heading ‘Apply update’.

Some lineage recovery versions that also offer the option “Choose from microSD card” are very good.

There is still a lot to do. Let’s do it. For now, thank you for your continued work, @SkewedZeppelin

1 Like

takes 25-30 seconds longer to boot

Likekly the encryption.
DivestOS kernels are also expected to be slightly slower due to many hardening options.

format the ‘system partition’

This is disabled to limit possible brickage if your bootloader is locked.

option to flash from internal storage

Can’t if /data is encrypted.

Awesome to hear that DivestOS works on jfltexx/d855/h850! Thank you again for testing!

@SkewedZeppelin, your explanation sounds plausible. It was clear to me that the lack of one or the other function was not negligence on your part, but well-founded. It is good to have spoken a few words about it.

OnePlus 5T (dumpling) | DivestOS 18.1 / 11.0 / R

Starting point was stock Android
OxygenOS 10.0.1 - divested-18.1-20210416-dos-dumpling / 18.1-20210416-dos-dumpling-recovery

My DOS 18.1 installation on ‘dumpling’ was so straightforward and fast, as I’ve not yet perceived a DOS. Is it because of the lightning-fast OnePlus 5T, is it because of optimized DOS code or is it the ideal combination of 5T - DOS 18.1. In any case, it feels great. Verified Boot | Lock Bootloader works.

Captive Portal Check Android sends a request to the address ‘connectivitycheck.gstatic com’. What address is DOS 18.1 using or do you have it completely disabled, @SkewedZeppelin?

Captive Portal Check

DivestOS does not modify or disable the captive portal checks.
It still makes requests to various Google servers.
These requests contain no personal information.
On 14.1 and 15.1 you can disable via Settings > Network > Data usage > Disable Captive Portal.
For 11.0, 16.0, 17.1, and 18.1 you can disable via ADB:
adb shell settings put global captive_portal_mode 0;

See also Misc/Features/CaptivePortalCheck.txt · master · DivestOS Mobile / DivestOS-Build · GitLab

There are reasons to not change it, as in right now I cannot enumerate all DivestOS users. But if I changed the captive portal lookup, I’d be able to always maintain a count.
As is Google just sees captive portal requests like it does from the other billion devices.

OnePlus 3T A3003 (oneplus3T) | DivestOS 17.1 / 10.0 / R

The starting point was an installed, well-functioning LineageOS 17.1.

First I installed DOS-Recovery divested-17.1-20210415-dos-oneplus3-recovery, then DOS-ROM divested-17.1-20210415-dos-oneplus3.

The device boots, shows the OnePlus+ logo very briefly. Then the screen goes black and stays black. DOS 17.1 does not appear. Only a white LED at the top left of the casing lights up. After pressing the power button for a few seconds, the LED goes out. To check, I repeated the entire installation procedure. The negative result isn’t a pleasant user experience.

So, to lighten the mood, I installed LineageOS-18.1-for-microG. It boots flawlessly and works fine. The commands fastboot flashing lock_critical and fastboot flashing lock were executed, but there was no ERASING and the system did not have to be set up again: Logical consequence: No Re-Locked Bootlaoder.

Log (short)

fastboot getvar all

(bootloader) version:0.5
(bootloader) battery-soc-ok:yes
(bootloader) battery-voltage:4177000
(bootloader) variant:MTP eMMC
(bootloader) unlocked:yes
(bootloader) secure:yes
(bootloader) version-baseband:
(bootloader) version-bootloader:

1 Like

@fossys

The latest 18.1-20210512 build for oneplus3 should now boot, thanks to some testing from another user.

OnePlus 3T A3003 (oneplus3T) | DivestOS 18.1 / 11.0 / R

The starting point was an installed, well-functioning Lineage-18.1-20210509-microG-oneplus3 with
SECURE BOOT - enabled | DEVICE STATE - unlocked

@SkewedZeppelin

Yes, my A3003 (oneplus3T) boots with DOS 18.1 aka divested-18.1-20210512-dos-oneplus3 without complications (in contrast to DOS 17.1) but two attempts to lock the bootloader again were unsuccessful.

Unlock Method: Fastboot
Relockable: Not Unlockable
Verified Boot: Yes

Very sad, that would have been the icing on the cake.

1 Like

@SkewedZeppelin,
can you build a DivestOS 18.1 / 11.0 / R build for the Google Pixel 3a XL (bonito) I’ve ‘bonito’ available for a few days for testing.