DivestOS: long term device support with enhanced privacy and security

Memory poisoning

The Copperhead/GrapheneOS patches add page sanitization to 3.10, 3.18, 4.4, and 4.9 kernels when possible. slub_debug=FZP is available for all others.

You’re just sticking in flags that are NOPs

All of those kernel flags are set to support all devices, whether or not the device kernel actually supports the feature.

And why tuna specifically?
It isn’t possible to run mainline on all of these last I checked.

The patch to updater

That is localhost, you run the update server from your phone?

You can check the current glassrom kernel sources for those patches. There’s no automated “black magic” cve patcher

Linux only has ~2500 CVEs to date. Even if you multiply that by 10x, how do you get 63,000 vulnerabilities that you patch?

I kindly encourage you to please take the time to go through the DivestOS sources, use it in the FOSS spirit and ultimately improve your project with it.

@SkewedZeppelin, FYI, on shamu, Silence just crashes after very quick display of a splash screen. QKSMS works OK. FairEmail is now default, but I still prefer K-9 Mail (and it is listed on the website). I’m giving FairEmail a try, but it is even less successful at getting yahoo, etc. emails over Orbot (probably user error!)…

How is yours different

@anupritaisno1, From a user view, more devices are supported (including a couple of mine :grin: ), the website listed at github/lab works, and they’re not using javascript (ad) filled sites like reddit and xda-developers. “onion available” stands out from the crowd too. However, there is no visible means of (financial) support, and some are suspicious it could be a front for nefarious purposes… :smirk:

Silence just crashes after very quick

I’ve seen that happen. The cause is that Silence starts up on boot and it will fail to initialize if there is no SIM detected on that first run. Just clear the app data.

visible means of (financial) support

I originally planned to have it as a “name your price” for downloads.
Not involving money make it less obligations for me :slight_smile:
I will always welcome patches however.

Thank you for pointing out that thread, I’d not seen it.

2 Likes

Yes, that worked.

I was wrong. Because of testing in the same room… In “real” calls, the other person can not hear me now. :frowning:

Good day @SkewedZeppelin,

Firstly - great job on creating DivestOS!

Secondly:

Obviously you are for keeping a very low digital footprint (as are we), but I wish to speak with you privately concerning a development project, DivestOS and providing support for your own project(s) - On your terms of course.

Are you able to PM me?

Best regards to you

PS *Edit

Just out of interest:

https://divestos.org/index.php?page=about

If you’d like to donate to DivestOS to support the cost of the servers/domains/electricity/coffee/etc. consider sending BTC to our address below.

So - which one (if any) go towards you and your own efforts?

Hello @SkewedZeppelin,

I’d like to give a little feedback.

I tried to get DivestOS working on a Samsung Galaxy S3 (i9305) and a S5 (klte).
As recovery I use TWRP and I installed it via sideload, after wiping the phone.

On the S3 it works fine and smooth so far, but the S5 starts new again and again after a few seconds of booting.
LineageOS runs without problems on the same device.

Is there something I can do to get it working?

1 Like

On the S3 it works fine and smooth so far, but the S5 starts new again and again after a few seconds of booting.

When a device doesn’t boot at all you have to make an engineering build and get a full logcat.
It is likely the deblobber.
Same command from above is helpful:
abd logcat -b all -d | grep -i -e dlopen -e \.so
It can also be selinux, so I recommend making the eng build with selinux disabled.
In the device makefile you can append androidboot.selinux=permissive.

If you can’t make a build, I will try to make one soonish.

Are you able to PM me?

Apologies, but I’d rather not have any obligations at all.

go towards you and your own efforts?

There is a donation line but it is commented out. Stripe is absolutely proprietary and I don’t like the current implementation of most cryptocurrencies.

1 Like

Can you confirm that calling works on the latest LineageOS nightly?

Freedom of choice is the only thing I am obligated to offer.

Of course - one has to appreciate all the options available to make an educated decision.

I can indeed provide an option that you may not have previously considered. That is - if you wish to discuss it further.

Whatever you choose - your time and kind reply was appreciated.

Best regards to you

Yes, calling works with fresh install of lineage-17.1-20200617-nightly-shamu-signed.zip.

Identical to my first experience.

You release an untested ROM (now marked as “broken”) divested-16.0-20200510-dos-klte.

When a device doesn’t boot at all

When a device doesn’t boot at all you have to make an engineering build and get a full logcat.
It is likely the deblobber.
Same command from above is helpful:
abd logcat -b all -d | grep -i -e dlopen -e .so
It can also be selinux, so I recommend making the eng build with selinux disabled.
In the device makefile you can append androidboot.selinux=permissive.

If you can’t make a build, I will try to make one soonish.

It is not uncommon for bugs to be in a build. But nine weeks after the initial release asking the user to do an “engineering build” when the device does not boot is a new negative experience for me and leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Is DivestOS (DOS) intended for advanced users or developers - and not for the normal user who wants to use a custom rom like LineageOS?

If a working Lineage 16.0 serves as a basis for DOS, but this is changed, then the developer should also call the device his own to be able to control his work personally in advance.

It is unfortunately a frequently encountered bad habit to deliver untested software to the interested user to let the product mature at the customer - keyword banana-software / bananaware.

Your DivestOS premiere fell into the water for me. But DOS get a second chance if it is repaired as soon as possible.

1 Like

nine weeks

This has been my personal project for 6 years.

product mature at the customer

My personal project not product, and I have no customers.

as soon as possible

My personal project with zero obligations dictated only by what I find fun in my free time.

1 Like

The website speaks of

we (Divested Computing Group)

and not from a personal project.

dos_group

Is DivestOS Mobil your personal project or is DOS a product of the Divested Computing Group?

2 Likes

@fossys, Bootloops aren’t new. They’re not new for s5 or LineageOS. Some of the “biggest” projects put out untested ROMs, and buggy ROMs, and let people test and give feedback.

It took weeks after first release of LineageOS 17 for my device before the Calendar (a basic, default app) worked for me.

bitter taste… second chance if it is repaired as soon as possible.
The website speaks of

The website is also clear about expectations and schedules.

Releases are typically done on a monthly schedule unless there are major or security related changes.
Disclaimer
Rarely will these builds be fully tested as we don’t have every device we build for, due to that these are provided without warranty and can damage your device. We are not liable for any damage done by using these, and you yourself will be at fault.

Please stop wasting @SkewedZeppelin 's time on less relevant details (aka bitching) so they can have fun fixing the issues.

1 Like

Sorry, but I’m not (yet) familiar with making builds.

@anon46495926, it makes a huge difference if the LineageOS open source community debuts with a completely new LineageOS 17.1 (as the direct successor of LineageOS 16.0) or if DivestOS (as an unofficial soft fork of LineageOS) makes changes to this source code based on LineageOS.

The team of “The LineageOS Project” has done a great job and continues to do so with ROMs for LOS 16.0 and LOS 17.1. DivestOS Mobil, a newcomer on the fork market, has to measure up to the work of “The LineageOS Project”.

“My personal project” with 60(!) devices. Well, with this quantity the quality must inevitably fall by the wayside. GrapheneOS is often called a one-man show. There 4+2 devices are maintained by one developer. More isn’t feasible. The personal project of ‘SkewedZeppelin’ takes care of ten times more equipment.

The DivestOS project - “A privacy oriented Android distribution” - raises numerous questions, as also visible in other forums. Whether ‘SkewedZeppelin’ asks these questions or not, he can decide for himself - and doesn’t need an ‘justsomeguy’.

@anon46495926 “just some guy”, please stop describing other people’s opinions and questions unwilling or stubborn behavior (“aka bitchy”) and stay objective.

1 Like

@fossys,

a new negative experience for me and leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.
please stop describing other people’s opinions and questions unwilling or stubborn behavior (“aka bitchy”) and stay objective.

Don’t ask me to “stay objective” after you’ve already been subjective. Less concise: My experience of your comments leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, or a whiny noise in my ear. You are free to ignore.

GrapheneOS is often called a one-man show.

But Github shows 3 IDs on the team.

with this quantity the quality must inevitably fall by the wayside.

Thanks for your prediction, but we don’t know what someone can accomplish, until they do it, or don’t.

There is a famous quote:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

With this comment I will leave the discussion. Its a free internet, you are all certainly entitled to your own opinion, but if you don’t like DivestOS, there’s no one forcing you to use it. Perhaps if you tried it and don’t like it, why not just say, “thanks, but not for me” and walk away?

We should always be allowed to critisize, and analyze some creative work. But we can do so without being critical. If you are sure his ROM is a failure, then words are not needed for it to fall. If we spent more time trying to help or building something constructive, rather than tearing down (or into) others work, imagine what we’d get done.

For @SkewedZeppelin, what this person is doing is admirable, it takes a lot of time and effort. Maybe this will be the best ROM ever, maybe not, looks like some care went into it. Bravo.

That’s my 1/2 cent.

7 Likes

Very admirably put Sir.

Really? I think we all actually goosed that a couple of years back:

To criticize is indeed to be critical. Of course - the words chosen and methods used to do so will result in critique that is either constructive or destructive.

And I cannot agree more. I do believe there is a sense of frustration on the part of dear @fossys . I can also appreciate this, though of course, I am also frustrated by the shear volume of forked projects that never seem to achieve fruition, while also locking in ‘propitiatory’ developments that once more will leave a lot of hard work required by others to achieve similar results - if it is at all possible.

I would indeed be more than happy to put together a team and finance to support the developments of this project (or any other project for that matter - if it will provide a possibility for my own humanitarian goals to be met) , but indeed, the lack of desire on the part of @SkewedZeppelin to even broach the subject with me in a more expansive fashion will not result in any progress towards me helping him achieve his goals.

Of course - he is more than entitled to do as he pleases. That is - until choice is removed from our global governance equation.

I do find it sad that many previous projects (copperhead to name only one) have been fraught with deception, backstabbing and general disruption, that have not only had negative repercussions on the developers, but also the client base (users/customers/individuals or whatever you wish to refer to them as) where upon everyone suffers, and developments stagnate or bottleneck.

Realistically - it will be a struggle as an individual to maintain that which he seeks to achieve with this development. Of course - I do hope I am wrong.

In any case - I wish DivestOS and @SkewedZeppelin every success.

:+1:

3 Likes