DivestOS: long term device support with enhanced privacy and security

super_empty.img (5 KB content)

Question: With which command do I flash where?

Identical with command fastboot wipe-super so correspondingly fastboot flash super_empty.img?

The evaluation of my photos and awards taken during the installation attempt showed:

According to LineageOS Wiki: I’ve executed this command:

Temporarily flash a recovery on your device by typing:

fastboot flash boot <recovery_filename>.img

The immediate result was: QUALCOMM CrashDump Mode

However, when I tried again, I was successful with this variant:

Temporarily Boot TWRP

fastboot boot twrp-3.5.2_9-0-enchilada.img 

… and …

Permanently Flash TWRP

adb sideload twrp-installer-3.5.2_9-0-enchilada.zip 

Reminder:
On some devices the below command may be required …

fastboot flash recovery <recovery_filename>.img

Which of the three variants is the right one therefore also depends on the respective model.

OnePlus 6 (enchilada)

DOS build divested-18.1-20210814-dos-enchilada

Unfortunately, another installation attempt failed.

Starting point was a fully functional LineageOS build lineage-18.1-20210810-nightly-enchilada-signed including lineage recovery installed on the A6003.

The installation of the DOS build was without complications this time, but no proper boot followed. The A6003 booted, first showing the OnePlus logo [1¹] then the familiar notice <!> The boot loader is unlocked and software

Open and enlarge image in new tab

In the next second, the screen goes black and the above-mentioned <!> message is displayed again in a flash. So there is a bootloop without showing the Divest boot animation and/or the DOS logo. Too bad!

The Divest-Recovery was installed and could be operated flawlessly. The two installation attempts via adb sideload divested-18.1-20210814-dos-enchilada did not bring a positive experience, but the A6003 behaved as described one paragraph above.

Currently I’ve installed the SHRP SkyHawk Recovery v3.1 stable official. A top-notch custom recovery based on TWRP, visually appealing and valuable additional options. With SHRP the Lineage 18.1 build lineage-18.1-20210810-nightly-enchilada-signed.zip was successfully installed. After the LOS installation, the SHRP-Recovery is still operational on the A6003, which means it has not been replaced by a Lineage-Recovery.

Oh God, can you believe that! No more than 3 consecutive replies are allowed. Please edit your previous reply, or wait for someone to reply to you.

As a reminder, there is currently no TWRP custom recovery or comparable. DivestOS also does not offer a separately installable DOS recovery. Lone alternative: lineage-recovery-bramble.

@SkewedZeppelin
With which fastboot command do I flash super_empty.img where?

1 Like

You likely do not need to flash it.
it would be fastboot flash super super_empty.img but I honestly am not entirely sure why it is included, and would try booting without flashing it first.

@SkewedZeppelin

super super_empty.img I associate with super partition.

As far as I understand it, newer devices that ship with at least Android 10 or higher have a so-called super_partition. Exactly what they are needed for, I have yet to understand.

‘brample’ comes with Android 11 by default. When I installed the latest Google Android 11 Aug. 2021 factory image 11.0.0 (RQ3A.210805.001.A1, Aug 2021, I could see these entries in the terminal window among others:

super_empty.img
Sending 'vbmeta_system_b' (4 KB)                   OKAY [  0.109s]
Writing 'vbmeta_system_b'                          OKAY [  0.031s]
extracting vendor_boot.img (96 MB) to disk... took 0.703s
archive does not contain 'vendor_boot.sig'
Sending 'vendor_boot_b' (98304 KB)                 OKAY [  3.291s]
Writing 'vendor_boot_b'                            OKAY [  0.427s]
extracting super_empty.img (0 MB) to disk... took 0.001s
Rebooting into fastboot                            OKAY [  0.066s]
< waiting for any device >
Sending 'super' (4 KB)                             OKAY [  0.002s]
Updating super partition                           OKAY [  0.006s]
Resizing 'product_b'                               OKAY [  0.006s]
Resizing 'system_b'                                OKAY [  0.005s]
Resizing 'system_ext_b'                            OKAY [  0.006s]
Resizing 'system_a'                                OKAY [  0.006s]
Resizing 'vendor_b'                                OKAY [  0.005s]
Resizing 'vendor_a'                                OKAY [  0.005s]

via fastboot getvar all is displayed:

super type | size
(bootloader) partition-type:vbmeta_system_a:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:vbmeta_system_a:0x10000
(bootloader) partition-type:vbmeta_system_b:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:vbmeta_system_b:0x10000
(bootloader) partition-type:super:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:super:0x245800000
(bootloader) partition-type:userdata:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:userdata:0x1B46FFB000

Here is an official representation: Implementing Dynamic Partitions

Dynamic partitioning is implemented using the dm-linear device-mapper module in the Linux kernel. The super partition contains metadata listing the names and block ranges of each dynamic partition within super.

I cannot judge if and how important super_empty.img is. And you?

Thanks!

@SkewedZeppelin , is this on the to do list, or a LineageOS issue?

Edit: I do like clearing cookies etc often, but Tor Browser crashes regularly with “only” 5-6-7 tabs open.

@anon46495926

If it is buggy OpenGL, not much I can do about it, that is vendor blobs and they aren’t going to receive any more updates. It is possible to take them from another similar device with some effort.

But the other trace didn’t mention OpenGL, which might make it a misnomer and possibly just simply out of memory.

1 Like

OnePlus 6 (enchilada)

DOS build divested-18.1-20210814-dos-enchilada

bootloader locking
this is pretty easy to support/enable, you just have to integrate the following into your builds

If it’s pretty easy - why is’t not applied by ROM deveolopers on the devices where it is practically possible?

That since DivestOS build divested-18.1-20210814-dos-enchilada does not boot properly, accordingly cannot be set up, the relocking bootloder also cannot be verified and validated. However, it would be a special unique selling point - for the device and the developer.

There are a number of CustomROMs for the OnePlus 6 that work at least on the basis of Android 10, but mostly on the basis of Android 11. Functioning means here: The system boots and can be set up. With none of the ROMs the bootloader could be re-locked. The relocking only leads to a bootloop in the best case, but also caused a fatal system crash. This tutorial describes the effort for a re-lock bootloader on a OnePlus 8T with LineageOS 18.1.

All ROMs listed below and installed by me, such as AICP (Android Ice Cold Project), ArrowOS, CarbonROM, /e/OS-Q (beta), Havoc-OS, LineageOS-for-microG also work with microG, are at least ‘signature spoofing’ ready and can thus be equipped with the unique MinMicroG NoGoolag Edition - with the three exceptions:

/e/OS-Q (beta) and LineageOS-for-microG, whose ROMs are exclusively delivered with preinstalled and specially adapted microG, as well as LineageOS 18.1 from ‘The LineageOS Project’, which is strictly against microG, but ‘tolerates’ the GApps. But for that there is the fork LineageOS-for-microg by team Marvin Wißfeld.

All ROMs install their ‘own’ custom recovery without being asked, whose code base is the Lineage recovery. So I was allowed to install the SHRP SkyHawk and TWRP Recovery, which are equipped with a larger range of functions, several times.

With none of the ROMs the bootloader could be re-locked. This tutorial describes the effort for a re-lock bootloader on a OnePlus 8T with LineageOS 18.1. Nevertheless, OnePlus 6 fans can be happy, because the choice for a custom ROM has never been bigger and everyone should find his ROM according to his taste and demands. Goodbye Oxygen OS (OOS).

Hey
Sorry to bother, I image you are very busy, but I need your help.
I know the basics of pc, but I’m tired to be continuously under surveillance, especially now that I feel like we are in war for our freedom.
I need someone to teach me, in order to avoid waste of time and speed up the learning process.

Right now, I’ve downloaded cyberghost and VPN and paid for two years. I have WIKO phone so I’ve blocked all permissions of Google, including system files. Obviously, money is a matter, so I have to wait 1 or 2 weeks to buy a phone where I can install your OS.

Also, I tried couple of times to join cyber security forums in the deep web from mobile, but I couldn’t.
Of course is me, my lack of knowledge, that’s why I’m ready to study.
The problem is that there is so much stuff and I do not know how to create a progression learning from basics.
What’s basics?
C++?
HTML?
Java?

Do I need to know all this to be able to look after my own privacy?

Coming back to deep web access, some guide said to deactivate “JavaScript”, but when I click on the link of the forum I can’t continue because JavaScript is not active.
I am confused.

Any chance you could give me some tip or a proper link where I can learn following a clear plan?

Once again, sorry to bother you, and thanks in advance for any help.

Lysander

@CyberCurious

I’ve downloaded cyberghost and VPN and paid for two years.

A VPN is absolutely no guarantee of any sort of added privacy and in my opinion a waste of money.

buy a phone where I can install your OS

Please do not feel compelled to do so.

join cyber security forums in the deep web from mobile

How do you think this will benefit you?

What’s basics?
IT/Hacking skills

Programming and/or “hacking” skills are not required for some semblance of privacy.

link of the forum I can’t continue because JavaScript is not active

You’ll have to learn when a site requires JavaScript and when it is optional.

Largely out-of-scope for this thread.

I know, sorry

@SkewedZeppelin Love the idea of this ROM and enjoyed it on my Essential ph1. Unfortunately it does not boot on my Poco F3. I have tried everything I know but no go. Hope it will be fixed in the future.

Thanks, Totally_Wildman.

@Totally_Wildman
Yep, I seem to have an issue with booting on any device with Linux 4.9 or newer.
I mostly ruled out the defconfig hardening, so it must be a patch applied by the CVE checker.
I don’t have any such device myself, so :tipping_hand_man:

For the past while WebView updates have only been included with system updates each month/build.
In order to provide users with more up-to-date WebViews, especially when there are vulnerabilities in the wild it is critical that I can push out updates quicker.

I am announcing an experimental F-Droid repository that lets you update to the latest Chromium 92.0.4515.159, from the current shipping 92.0.4515.131.

Please do test if you can, that your WebView updates successfully to the new version and that apps utilizing the WebView function correctly.

If all goes well, this repository will be added and enabled by default for fresh installs in the next build cycle for rapid WebView updates to all.

1 Like

2 devices updated OK. 2 apps - Privacy Browser and GMapsWV work OK.

1 Like
Open and enlarge image in new tab

Samsung Galaxy S4 ‘jfltexx’ DOS 18.1 / 11.0 / R
After package source update successful update of DivestOS system WebView 92.0.4515.131 to Chromium 92.0.4515.159.

1 Like

Xiaomi Poco F1 (beryllium)

DOS build divested-18.1-20210809-dos-beryllium.zip

What was foreshadowed and therefore very likely has been confirmed to me in reality: the DivestOS 18.1-20210809 ROM does not boot - as the only one of four tested custom ROMs. But let’s take it one step at a time.

After I was allowed to unlock the bootloader of my Xiaomi Pocophone P1 (with Stock Android 10) today with official permission from Xiaomi, I first successfully installed, booted and set up /e/ OS e-0.18-q-20210813129945-dev-beryllium.zip (AOSP 10 Q) without incident. Almost obligatory with /e/ OS: The missing FM-radio. Frequently publicised as a shortcoming by the /e/ community, the /e/ communication leader asks in amazement, demands proof of the presence of the FM-radio in stock Android and promises to bring the issue to the developers. Then nothing happens for months. But at least the /e/ ROM is a working custom ROM alternative.

The second successfully installed and working ROM was LOS 18.1 lineage-18.1-20210807-nightly-beryllium-signed.zip (AOSP 11 R). Here, as with the fourth successfully installed and working ROM, LineageOS18.1-for-microG, the FM-radio is integrated and works.

The third installed ROM, DivestOS divested-18.1-20210809-dos-beryllium.zip, could be installed, but only booted up to the POCO logo and remained like this without any movement for about 1 1/2 minutes, only to start OrangeFox Recovery after an automatic reboot with a very short display of the POCO logo in the custom recovery. OrangeFox is a very good TWRP alternative.

I've also tried - without success:
Installation of boot.img from the LOS 18.1 ROM
Installation of vbmeta from the LOS 18.1 ROM
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
Open and enlarge image

Last but not least, I installed LineageOS18.1-for-microG lineage-18.1-20210810-microG-beryllium.zip. It boots as it should, and can be set up completely. As with /e/ OS and LOS 18.1, I didn’t install the microG recovery because of the reduced features. TWRP 3.5.2_10-0-beryllium and OrangeFox-beryllium-stable@R11.1 (2021-06-26) have more to offer me.

DivestOS ROMs like Google Pixel 3a (sargo), OnePlus 7 pro, OnePlus 6T, OnePlus 6 (enchilada) or Xiaomi Poco F3 that don’t boot properly remind me of the painful DivestsOS early days. The serious shortcoming that the DOS dev does not himself have the majority of the devices for which he designs and builds ROMs available for initial testing clearly comes into play here. This is one more reason to postpone a DivestOS test with my Google Pixel 4a 5G (bramble) with DivestOS, which costs several hundred US dollars, until further notice. It runs splendidly with re-locked bootlaoder with GrapheneOS and CalyxOS.

1 Like

Bad news is that none of the newer devices boot.
Good news is that none of the newer devices boot, which means it is likely only one or two issues affecting them all.

I think I will try disabling a few things for all the 4.9+ devices to hopefully make them boot next cycle.

Thank you again @fossys for your thorough testing.

1 Like

The Google Pixel 3a (sargo), OnePlus 6 (enchilada) and Xiaomi Poco F1 (beryllium) devices are planned to be in my hands for several months so I can do more (boot) tests.

@SkewedZeppelin, it would be an outstanding result if we could prove thats bootloader of ‘enchilada’ and ‘beryllium’ could be locked again.

Hi there!

I’ve been setting up my d855 with DivestOS and everything’s gone well. One minor issue is the heating which isn’t rom related. If remember right, it was like that from the beginning since I bought the phone.
But, but. How much of a job it would be to lower the max freq? To 2265MHz or even to 1958MHz. Or would that even make a difference regarding the heating.

1 Like