Are there smartphones with open source firmware?

Unfortunately, its not that simple. Given his behavior with CopperheadOS, I recommend against using something where he controls the updates. I think his coding skills are solid.

1 Like

@hans

Unfortunately, its not that simple.

It never is! :slight_smile:
We all have our own ideas on how things should be done.
At least we have quite a bit of choice right now.
I donā€™t think it has ever been a better time for ROMs and FOSS apps.

2 Likes

Lack of updates for calyxos, copperhead/graphene, and many many more

ROMs and update support come and go. I support boycotting devices without (non-surgically) replaceable batteries (or sims) so lack of updates would make more difference.

Given his behavior with CopperheadOS

In the civil suit counterclaim posted on grapheneos dot org, you can find a statement (#22) regarding the developerā€™sā€¦ personality and work practices, and a lot of other details that donā€™t inspire confidence IMO.

The core components have open source firmware , and there are even public hardware schematics. This is as close as youā€™re going to get to a totally open source smartphone . ā€¦ There have been phones that run open source builds of Android, but those are full of closed-source firmware from non-open components.

1 Like

The core components

The modem is a core component.
And it is proprietary.
But donā€™t worry it is all OK because we made its flash READ ONLY?

So down the line when there are critical security issues found they canā€™t even be patched.
Just to get some silly RYF certification?

Please correct me if I am wrong, I stopped following most of those devices.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.