Where is the VLC app?

Hi,
I no longer find VLC app: | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository
Same issue with the package name org.videolan.vlc
Is VLC removed?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Newer builds are failing so the app got moved to the archive. More information here: VLC version so old that VLC discourage people to use it (#476) · Issues · F-Droid / Data · GitLab

1 Like

I no longer find VLC app: | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository
Same issue with the package name org.videolan.vlc
Is VLC removed?

Yes, upstream wasn’t too happy with us serving age-old builds, so I
moved VLC to the archives. We will have 2.0.6 ready in the next few
days and hopefully move it to mainline again.

4 Likes

VLC is currently in the F-Droid archive repo, which you can enable in the app.

1 Like

Sorry for the need of approval, I guess you answered too fast after registering ^^

VLC is still not available. When will the build be fixed?

VLC is still not available. When will the build be fixed?

Hopefully when Make VLC 2.0.6 build again (!2242) · Merge requests · F-Droid / Data · GitLab
is ready to be merged.

fyi: 2.0.6 was built successfully, but the build recipe is not really
maintainable. we will see, if we can get it cleaned up and build a
recent version with it.

ref: https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/org.videolan.vlc/lastbuild

Are there any news yet?

2.0.6. should be in the archive. I have a locally somewhat cleaned
build that I hope to upgrade to a newer version when I find the time.

See also/Related:

We need to be able to easily support specific base configs for apps like VLC and Barcode Scanner that require very specific things. Having sudo= as a build option will go a long way, but we could other things too:
add new sudo= build field for per-build buildserver customization (#317) · Issues · F-Droid / fdroidserver · GitLab

This page says your last working version is 2.0.6,
The latest version on both GPlay and their official site is v. 2.0.6 .
So what’s preventing you to not include VLC in Fdroid?

1 Like

VLC for Android is an absolute nightmare to build, and to keep building. Various people including @anon25111075, @mimi89999, @relan, and I have contributed quite a bit of work. We’ve also tried to talk to upstream about streamlining some of the things, but they have been pretty hostile to our feedback.

There is work to package 2.1.x, you can see the latest build failures here:
https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/org.videolan.vlc/lastbuild

If I want to help you to build vlc. What do i need to have the same build setup and the same workflow as you use?

1 Like

We’d love help! At the very least, you’ll need a machine with the
Android SDK and this:

To have the exact same environment, you’ll need this:

It still does not make sense v2.0.6 was available on F-droid it is the official version distribute by VLC developers why is it not available on f-droid because we can’t build the newer version which seems beta or Alpha since it is not distributed by the devs?

Stay with stable versions

I’m thinking of helping out by trying to build VLC… but what requires the fdroid team to build it anyway? Are there proprietary bits that need to be omitted? There’s a message on the videolan wiki saying “Warning: Please, do not put pre-release test binaries or git-compiles on software sites or on user-forums. We’ve had bad experiences with this before and we do not appreciate it.” source

EDIT: Nevermind, I read the Building Applications link. :slight_smile:

Did you just avoid my question? :neutral_face: