Solution to restart Wi-Fi every hour

Hi,

on most of my devices I’ve experienced that websites load slower if Wi-Fi is connected for a long period of time. This happens on different android versions ranging from Android 7 till 11 and also on different access points. After a reconnect everything loads fast again.

1. Do you also experience such Wi-Fi slowdowns after longer use?

2. Is there a FOSS app that is able to restart Wi-Fi every hour or so? - In F-Droid I didn’t find something useful immediately, maybe Easer could help, but honestly it’s to complex for me. In Play store I also couldn’t find something helpful.

Do you also experience such Wi-Fi slowdowns after longer use?

Not exactly, but sometimes similar, only on older phones. I will see if disconnect-reconnect helps with their problems.

Is there a FOSS app that is able to restart Wi-Fi every hour or so?

I can suggest taking a walk farther than WiFi range. Then return. Maybe 0.5 to 1.0 kilometer distance as a bird flies to be sure. It is good for health too. :laughing:

Easer is not that complicated to use there is a tutorial. You could setup a 60 minute timer to drop out wifi then wait X seconds and reconnect.

I don’t know what access points you are connecting to, but in my experience almost all access points, even “professional” ones like Ubiquiti’s UniFi series, are based on very shoddy firmware. I run an IT consulting business and have moved almost all my clients to devices that have been reflashed with OpenWrt.

I would particularly recommend the TP-Link Archer A7 (about $60) if you want 802.11ac Wave 1 and the Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800 (hard to find new, probably about $200 if you can get it) if you want 802.11ac Wave 2.

I have not experienced any Wi-Fi slowdowns on any version of Android connected to any device running OpenWrt.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.