Signature

Is there a straightforward way of seeing an app’s signature? First, let me say this was way above my layman’s understanding: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12511533/verifying-that-two-apk-files-are-signed-with-the-same-signature
Here’s my problem. I understand the Guardian Projects apps are signed the same here and in the Play Store. I have “incompatible versions” off. Bitwarden in F-Droid was updated in Dec to version 1.21.0. The Play Store has version 1.22.0 and I can update it there. So I gather it has the same signature as F-Droid’s app and F-Droid will catch up to the newer version. Do I just trust the system and download from the PS when it allows me to? Am I making sense? LOL. They must not be incompatible versions because I can update it there…

0 Likes

This is mostly what concerned me yesterday. I could have sworn the Play Store version had a permission (diagnostic data) that the F-Droid version did not have. Looking this morning I don’t see that permission. My apologies. The old man is definitely get old…

0 Likes

“Incompatible” won’t allow you to update from another store if the signature is different, as Android itself does not allow this.

1 Like

You can install Checkey from F-Droid to look at app signatures. You can find it --> here <–.

Fair warning: you may get what you asked for instead of what you wanted. :wink:

3 Likes

I have Checkey. Why didn’t I remember that it could do that. Don’t answer. LOL.

0 Likes

You can also see signatures in Stanley as well as permission and other information about an app.

1 Like

I’m looking at it. Thanks.

0 Likes

closed #8

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes

Mastodon