Read SMS from PC

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there is a FOSS and Google-free app that allows you to read SMS from your PC.
When I used Gapps there was a lot of choice in this regard. I did some research online and I tried some apps. For now, AirDroid is the only one I have found that works and allows it to be used without a Google account. The problem is I don’t think it’s privacy-friendly at all. Is there an app on F-Droid that allows me to read SMS from the PC?
My OS is Arch and as a browser I only use Firefox (so no extensions for Chrome).
Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to help me!

1 Like

If you’re familiar with Matrix, you can try setting up SmsMatrix. I did just that today and it seems to work fine so far. With it you can send and receive SMS from any Matrix client

1 Like

First of all thank you for your answer.
Unfortunately, I admit that I am unable to set up a home server. I tried some time ago with NextCloud, but with poor results. Also, I don’t think I want to learn how to run a home server just for a few SMS of confirmation per month :cold_sweat:
Isn’t there a slightly simpler alternative?

1 Like

You don’t need to run your own homeserver. You just need two matrix accounts on any homeserver and it should work. You might also want to try KDE Connect, it offers a lot of nice integration between Android and Linux, I think it actually can do SMS as well

1 Like

You can use KDE-Connect for that. Works only if your devices are in the same network.

1 Like

Today I had some free time, so I installed KDE as a desktop environment on my PC instead of GNOME. I then installed KDE Connect on my smartphone and I must say that I am very happy. Thanks a lot to both of you for your suggestion!

2 Likes

If you prefer Gnome then GSConnect is a nice alternative

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.