Privileged installation problems

Hi everybody.
I am sorry if my question is funny…but

Note 9 - not rooted, oficcial ROM. no TWRP
F-Droid v.1-6-alfa1 ( I found it the latest one)
Privileged-extension - 0.2.9 (as well, hope this one is newest)

So…I have installed F-Droid.apk, just dropped it in folder on device and installed it. I know, the right way is to install via TWRP as ZIP file, but I didn’t unlocked my device yet, and as I said I steel have no TWRP.
After this, in the same way I have dropped “F-DroidPrivilegedExtension” in folder on the device and installed it as well.
The problem is that I can not install any soft, it says that “the privlieged permission have not been granted to the extension”.
I suspect that it is impossible to install the privileged extension on non rooted device, and I thing that I wont be able to use F-Droid, but want to hear your competent opinion.
Again…sorry if it was fun…newbie in *nix, qit, repo and all this staff.

P.S. I installed F-Droid with Privileged extension on my another device Z2pro (rooted with TWRP)LineAgeOS 14.1 and everything is OK…

1 Like

True

False

You just press Install for each app… you are only loosing the ability to “auto-install updates” if you don’t have the privileged thing, BUT everything else works as expected.

2 Likes

Ok, I have read about it, but i steel have same problem, I can’t install any apps, and it revoke installation by the message “the privlieged permission have not been granted to the extension”. Where is my misstake? How can I fix it? Any way, thank you for your replay.

1 Like

Any insrtuction for right way installation for non rooted devices? Any steps to fix permissions?

1 Like

I couldn’t find a mention of such an error message anywhere on the web. Could you post a screenshot of what happens when you try to install an app from F-Droid?

1 Like

Yes, sure…

Well… it’s not working since you don’t have root…so why not uninstall it? (the privilege extension that is)

2 Likes

I just noticed that some software is being installed, but not all. Some programs still respond the same message. For example, G-Droid does not accept installation. For sure. May be becouse I have installed it before and then uninstalled it?

1 Like

ok, then while you are answer I will ask some more questions :blush:
If I will uninstall privileged permissions will F-Groid still work?
How to fix a bug with the G-Droid?
In case of installing F-Droid via simple way (not via TWRP zip) I am only loosing the ability to “auto-install updates” or F-Droid won’t update any apps include itself?..
Thank you very much for your time…

1 Like

Wow… people…I have just uninstalled privileged permissions extension and everything fixed by itself…
Everything is working good. So will F-Droid update even not autoapdate?
Thanks for everybody who responds on qwestions. Licaon_Kter and paulakreuzer
I’ve got fixes

1 Like

Does that mean that for non rooted devices it is not necessary to install privileged permission extension?

1 Like

Yes, it’s okay without, you’ll get a notification (setup sync and internet access in Settings) that updates are available and do the work of pressing the buttons. :astonished: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Great, thanks a lot! That is all I need.
So last question for clear understanding…
The privilege permission extension is just for rooted devices, isn’t it?

2 Likes

The privileged extension only works on rooted devices, yes. But it’s not necessary for rooted devices. You can use F-Droid the standard way on a rooted device too.
It’s just necessary if you e.g. want F-Droid to auto-update your installed apps. Also on devices with Android versions lower than 8 (I think) it is helpful to allow F-Droid to install apps without having to tick the “allow unknown sources” setting.

2 Likes

Now it’s clear for me. Thanks one more time

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.