Paid features in opensource apps

Also: Pindroid aka pinboard depends on a paid account (#2478) ¡ Issues ¡ F-Droid / Data ¡ GitLab

I think it would make sense to mark apps which have a Paywall or Partial Paywall transparently for users. But it’s not really an Anti-Feature in my opinion.

(Don’t get me wrong, personally I dislike paywalls a great deal, but I’m trying to be objective here. Not all devs have the privilege to give their work away gratis. If this is what it takes for them to make a living we can’t change that either. I think it’s still okay to give them a platform here, after all they decided to provide a free software client, which is a step in the right direction. For non-tech savvy users this probably is a good thing too. A streamlined consumer experience by definition requires no knowledge about protocols, hosting, etc. and I think F-Droid should also have something to offer to those people.)

1 Like

The free license is not meant as free as in beer, but as free as in speach. So having to pay for some features is in no way contrary to the license.

Is there an anti-feature tag for nagware/begware? For example for apps that display nuisance dialogs until/unless you pay.

1 Like

Making/ maintaining an app costs a lot of time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Money is a sensitive topic. The powers that be will go a long, long way (i.e. use logic acrobatics) to avoid tagging apps with nags or begs or premium features. It depends what your definition of Ads adds up to. :laughing:

It’s not even about money. It is more fundamentally about freedom and extortion. There needs to be a sensible policy for the following reasons:

1. For example with Fair Email, it’s not fair (pun not intended) to see "promotes nonfree network services’ on free apps and allow apps to promote non free SOFTWARE. It’s not fair to label apps with NonFreeAdd tags for non free addons but allow apps to propose promote and ask you to replace the ENTIRE app with a nonfree version.
  2. Nag/beg screens in general (and by that I don’t mean on initial run but recurring ones) are literal anti-features. By that I mean that most of the tags are philosophical anti-features. But a nagware screen is literally putting in functionality that reduces the usability of the software. The nag screen has no intrinsic purpose other than to annoy. Software that threatens to annoy you unless you pay (and worse annoy you until you get a non-free version) isa literal AND philosophical anti feature.

F-droid can instutute charging for apps, that’s fine with me if app writers want to do that. But threatening to return daily/weekly/monthly and knock on my door until I agree to switch to a version of the app which reduces my freedom is not acceptable.

Fair Email for one, and there are others, needs NonFreeAdd today and the institution of another better tag tomorow.

You can create a fork and remove the dialogs if you don’t like it. At the end it’s still open source and anyone can do what they want with it if they don’t like the general direction.

2 Likes

That’s 100% not the point. Or, rather, if it were the point then it would also be the point for every anti-feature tag on every f-droid listing. Well, you can just fork Osmand and take out the non-free plugins, so we shouldn’t apply the NonFreeAdd tag to it.

So no, that’s not the point. We don’t consider the anti feature tag applied to a hypothetical fork that doesn’t have the anti-feature. We consider it for the software as it currently exists. And as “Fair Email” currently exists, it promotes non-free addons by repeatedly and infinitely promoting a non-free version of itself with added features.

@Kurt
Why are you so upset with people that spend hundreds if not thousands of hours working on a project, which they then give away for free.
How do you expect them to put food on the table? or a roof over their head?

In the case of Simple apps and FairEmail, the features are indeed free as in freedom.

5 Likes

I believe you misunderstand what the free software movement is about. Free here refers to freedom, not price:

“Free software” means software that respects users’ freedom and community. Roughly, it means that the users have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. Thus, “free software” is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of “free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free beer.” We sometimes call it “libre software,” borrowing the French or Spanish word for “free” as in freedom, to show we do not mean the software is gratis.

Whether or not the software costs money is completely irrelevant. In FairEmail, all of the code that runs on your device is free software, including the “pro features,” and it’s possible to turn on said “pro features” by changing the code and modifying it yourself. If FairEmail actually did advertise a proprietary version as the “pro version” then it would deserve NonFreeAdd antifeature.

1 Like

The thank you app that unlocks simple mobile apps can also be downloaded for free from F-droid.

They’re is also a fork of fairmail called simpleemail.

1 Like

I have never seen FairEmail promote non-free software. Buying a license doesn’t replace the app, it just makes some of the code paths that check if you have a license return true instead of false. It’s still the exact same GPLv3+ code.

6 Likes

And that stopped updating because develoment is soo easy or just the opposite?

Yes, Marcel is a robot, he churns commits after commits daily, incredible.

2 Likes

Sorry if it wasn’t clear but I meant my comment to show how accomodating the Dev is that even the ‘pro’ version is available for free. :sweat_smile:

Philosophical considerations aside, as a user I want:

• very clear indication which features are payfeatures
  • a rule that free features won’t become payfeatures by a simple upgrade. This is very important because unfortunately in Android once you upgrade you have not usually the option to revert to a an earlier version or different fork without loosing all your app data, so in theory an app author could lock you out of your data.

And - I think “payfeatures” would be a suitable neutral label.

1 Like

I would argue FairEmail has that in the metadata they provide, see “Pro Features”: FairEmail | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

In theory this makes sense, in practice this is very hard to enforce. Some issues I see is that it would require thorough review of every app update (which we simply don’t have enough people for) and the fact that sometimes features disappear in apps in general because of refactoring or because almost nobody uses a feature and the developer decides to remove it to keep the codebase easier to maintain.

Fair enough. I assumed the pay-app was non-free. So that alleviates 50% of my concern. The other 50%, though, still exists. The nag screen is still a literal anti-feature and as such deserves the tag.

I have no problem with an app charging up front. Pay or you can’t download it. I have no problem with an app asking for donations when you install it on the first-run “About this app” popup a lot of apps have. I have a lot of problems when an app refuses to honor my decision.

I’m not suggesting the they be delisted from F-Droid. Or, maybe I should be. Maybe that’s what is takes is demanding that these apps be delisted so that they can get tagged with anti-features as a compromise. I don’t like taking extreme views in order for reasonable and moderate actions to get taken. But what does it take, when philosophical anti-features are tagged, and literal ones aren’t?

Which app has a nagscreen? Surely you don’t mean Fairemail which has a small text on top and allows you to even hide that small text.

2 Likes

I’ve used fairemail for several months and even in the gratis version it works perfectly (to tell the truth, I don’t even remember which functions require payment).