Liberapay for Fdroid-Data work

Following some discussion in IRC from yesterday I set up a liberapay.com team for Fdroid data work.

https://en.liberapay.com/F-Droid-Data/

Here is how teams work: https://en.liberapay.com/explore/teams

I think everyone can just say what share we wants to take from the total donations/week.

The description is what I just came up with, suggestions welcome :slightly_smiling_face: Also adding an icon is a bit annoying to do, because you have to make a https://www.libravatar.org/ account. And I’m not on the team@f-droid email, so I can;t use this…

@relan @mimi89999 @Manizuca if you create an account on liberapay I can invite you to the team.

Anyone I forgot?

cc/@hans

5 Likes

So after about 1,5 weeks and absolutely zero promotion we are already receiving 1,28 € per week :slight_smile:

I now added the donation badge to the fdroid data repo and will set up a team logo shortly.

Added to the fdroid website would probably also be helpful.

Edit: Right now only @mimi89999 and I are on the liberapay team. More are certainly welcome.

This is great! Thanks for setting it up! If it increases by 1€ a week, then that will start looking like real money. Would it also make sense to set up a Patreon?

Patreon seems to have a slightly different focus (rewards system vs pure donations). It also is a commercial platform instead of a FOSS project. If someone of the team wants to set this up great, but I probably won’t do it.

1 Like

We are at (almost) 15 € per week donations. Not too bad! :slight_smile: @relan you are still missing there.

3 Likes

We are the number 3 team on liberapay now! :smile:

3 Likes

I wrote a small post about f-droid and liberapay here: Liberapay, a fully free Donation Platform | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

4 Likes

I’ve just enabled US$ donations for the liberapay team as there were some requests. Still a bit unsure how this will work out in practice. I think if you don’t also enable $ in your personal profile you’ll never receive any. Not sure what happens in all other cases. We’ll figure it out when we get any leftover $ donations I guess.

Maybe we also can attract some contributors form the US that can claim these, who knows.

Ping @relan @mimi89999

1 Like

There are some unfortunate news regarding liberapay: Liberapay is in trouble. Our payment processor (Mangopay) is… | by Liberapay | Liberapay’s Blog | Medium

While they are looking for a new payment processor people got presented with the option to either take out their remaining wallet funds or donate it “in advance” to the projects they’re supporting instead of the usual weekly donations. A lot of people took the second option, which amounts to about 16 weeks of advance donations judging by the usual amount that ends of in my account every week.

That means that if liberapay actually manages to find another payment provider in about 3-4 months we shouldn’t have lost any donations at all through this. (If enough sign up for the new one that is.)

1 Like

I just enabled receiving any supported language, where previously it was only USD and EUR.

Conversion is handled by the payment provider (so either paypal or stripe) for the usual currency conversion fees so it shouldn’t be any hassle for us.

Is this meant only for F-Droid data (packagers)? I feel like most users who donate think that they also donate for things like the build server and the client app. Maybe the group could be renamed to simply “F-Droid” and you could also add active maintainers who do other things than just F-Droid data (for example Hans-Christoph Steiner, Peter Serwylo, Michael Pöhn).

It’s complicated…
For renaming it we need to also change all links pointing to the page, so it’s not trivial.

I think another option to consider would be creating a new f-droid organization (in contrast to a team) after solving this: figure out legal organization for receiving donations/grants (#165) · Issues · F-Droid / admin · GitLab

The org then receives money instead of individual contributors and that money can be distributed by the org. I’ll figure out how that works at some point…

But yes, I’d at this point consider this more of a general donation channel for F-Droid than for packaging only.

@hans, @uniqx, etc. are of course free to join in there. I think Hans declined in the past. Peter is currently not actively involved in the project.

2 Likes

I’m happy to see any donations going to the packaging work. I do very
little fdroiddata packaging work, that’s why I didn’t sign up there.
I’m living from the grants fine anyway.