Latest F-Droid Client Unusable with TalkBack screenreader

Hello,
I am visually impaired, and use my Android tablet with TalkBack, which is Android’s built-in screenreader. I downloaded the latest update to the F-Droid client, and to my dismay, I noticed that I am no longer able to click on the tabs along the bottom of the screen in the app, i.e. Latest, Nearby, Categories, Updates and Settings… using standard TalkBack gestures. With the TalkBack screenreader on, you activate an item by double tapping on it. However when I do this, I’m stuck in the first tab, which is the Latest tab. Unfortunately I cannot use the app without a screenreader as I cannot see the screen, and I don’t have any sighted peers nearby to assist me. Does F-Droid have an accessibility team that I could contact directly in order to report this accessibility bug? Or any other way I can get in contact with the developers directly so that I can send them a screen recording of the problem?

Many thanks for your assistance!

Kind regards,

Siena.

I forgot to mention in my initial post that this behaviour has been going on since version 1.4. I installed Version 1.5-alpha0 and the problem still persists.

1 Like

You can file a bug at Issues · F-Droid / Client · GitLab and I think this behavior (particularly considering it is a regression) deserves a bug report.

There is already an old report relating to the Install button not working with TalkBack: The "Install" button does not work with Talkback (#973) · Issues · F-Droid / Client · GitLab

Hi Lorenzo,

Thank you so much! I’ll definitely be reporting this bug. Thankfully the issue with the Install button has been squashed, and it’s now working properly.

Thank you again for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.