Is android.support.v4 acceptable on F-Droid?

Can I put my app on F-Droid if I’m using the android-support-v4.jar library? That is, is that “open” enough for F-Droid? I realize the source code comes with the sdk (under /usr/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64-20140702/sdk/extras/android/support/v4/src) but I’m not in the habit of building all of that, and it would be a pain if, distributing my own source and ant files, I couldn’t just check in the jar itself.

No JARs allowed.

Isn’t that on maven somewhere? Maven Central Repository Search

I don’t understand the page you’ve pointed me to. Are those people all answering an unseen question? Are they showing how to tell the maven build system to compile the v4 compatibility jar from source?

No, you just include the lib as implementation 'name.of.thing:something-v4:version in build.gradle and the build system pulls the lib from the maven repo.

Do research about this, as it is a common Android development topic/thing to do.

Care to share your app’s repo link?

There’s an ancient thing in f-droid called extlib: Build Metadata Reference | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository (ctrl-f extlib)

We have android-support-v4.jar there. Not sure if it’ll work.

It works for many apps, just grep extlibs in the metadata files and see how many are using it.

Well, barely any new app is build with extlibs this days. So all I can say is that it worked for a lot of apps ~4-6 years ago :woman_shrugging:

Ok, thanks. It looks like I’ll have to figure out how to do notifications without relying on the NotifCompat class.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.