Consultation on simple gallery pro

Is not that easy, you need to modify the app to cope with the missing functionality too.

Apparently SimpleGallery moved away from foss, due to closed source PhotoEditorSDK to take advantage of their VideoEditor features (and PhotoEditor active support)

Seems I have it running fine with following patch

deleted:    app/src/main/assets/pesdk_license
deleted:    app/src/main/kotlin/com/simplemobiletools/gallery/pro/activities/NewEditActivity.kt

plus

diff --git a/app/build.gradle b/app/build.gradle
index 7e229062..885818b6 100644
--- a/app/build.gradle
+++ b/app/build.gradle
@@ -91,29 +91,4 @@ dependencies {
     annotationProcessor 'androidx.room:room-compiler:2.2.2'
 }

-// Apply the PESDKPlugin
-apply plugin: 'ly.img.android.sdk'

-imglyConfig {
-    pesdk {
-        enabled true
-        licencePath 'pesdk_license'
-    }
-
-    supportLibVersion "28.0.0"
-
-    modules {
-        include 'ui:core'
-        include 'ui:text'
-        include 'ui:focus'
-        include 'ui:brush'
-        include 'ui:filter'
-        include 'ui:transform'
-        include 'ui:adjustment'
-
-        include 'backend:serializer'
-
-        include 'assets:font-basic'
-        include 'assets:filter-basic'
-    }
-}
diff --git a/app/src/main/AndroidManifest.xml b/app/src/main/AndroidManifest.xml
index 11b2f5c9..6ef7ebd8 100644
--- a/app/src/main/AndroidManifest.xml
+++ b/app/src/main/AndroidManifest.xml
@@ -201,7 +201,7 @@
         </activity>

<activity
-            android:name=".activities.NewEditActivity"
+            android:name=".activities.EditActivity"
             android:label="@string/editor">
             <intent-filter>
                 <action android:name="android.intent.action.EDIT"/>
@@ -210,12 +210,6 @@

<data android:mimeType="image/*"/>
             </intent-filter>
-        </activity>
-
-        <activity
-            android:name=".activities.EditActivity"
-            android:label="@string/editor">
-
             <intent-filter>
                 <action android:name="com.android.camera.action.CROP"/>

diff --git a/build.gradle b/build.gradle
index 846e1e56..969a4007 100644
--- a/build.gradle
+++ b/build.gradle
@@ -6,13 +6,11 @@ buildscript {
     repositories {
         google()
         jcenter()
-        maven { url 'https://artifactory.img.ly/artifactory/imgly' }
     }

dependencies {
         classpath 'com.android.tools.build:gradle:3.5.3'
         classpath "org.jetbrains.kotlin:kotlin-gradle-plugin:$kotlin_version"
-        classpath 'ly.img.android.pesdk:plugin:7.0.10'

// NOTE: Do not place your application dependencies here; they belong
         // in the individual module build.gradle files

With possible rfp https://gitlab.com/fdroid/rfp/issues/993 stand-alone PhotoEditor, F-Droid could still provide an up-to-date combo ?

You’ll need to fork the app, new ID, new icon (lol) and open a RFP. Thanks :wink:

I already have 2 forks in rfp/ready waiting for final merge, a third one would bottleneck the pile ? (Also fdroid build server activity seems to be halt down ?)

It’s spilled all over already, one more won’t help nor break anything :slight_smile:

As evident in the above patch, the app doesn’t explicitly depend on the proprietary editing functionality (if it did, then the file removals would’ve caused it to fail to build). Rather, the app provides an activity with a proprietary dependency and fires an intent to launch any available editor.
By introducing a “proprietary” product flavour, it should be possible to exclude (section off) the problematic license and activity as sources, exclude the activity from the AndroidManifest (see previous link), and exclude the dependency.
What remains is the plugin (which should be able to be handled like so), imglyConfig code block (which I imagine could also be handled similarly) and maven repository. I imagine that a repository whose modules are not depended on would not do anything, so it should be fine to leave the repository as is.
As such, perhaps a fork isn’t necessary, if these changes could be made upstream. This is all conjecture, mind you; I’ll update once I try to get this running.

Was thinking the same, but if upstream rejects a PR…forking will be the way. That would be sad since forking should be the last option.

1 Like

thx to Gitlab there could be a middle solution: mirroring,
Once down, at every wanted build:

• (delete_if_exist/)create an fdroid branch from mirrored master
  • apply/cherry-pick patch
  • tag for new build

Umm, I’d rather not, or better said…not without upstream agreement, if they say it’s ok for F-Droid to package a different app (by all means), then yes. Did you ask?

I have successfully built foss and proprietary variants. Now to make a merge request (here’s hoping). Please wait warmly.

1 Like

Would also suggest to change build gradle id com.simplemobiletools.gallery.pro to
com.simplemobiletools.gallery which still exist for free on the Playstore.

thx for app/src/proprietary/AndroidManifest.xml tips (!)

No need to mess with IDs… I’ll try a build asap

@ForgottenUmbrella seems your commit reaches fdroid build, connected to SimpleGallery and missing in both AOSP & F-Droid, there is this rfp for a foss PhotoEditor (with graphical Notes possible feature) :

I tried to help but original dev may still need some assist from fdroid community ?

Better fork it then, as their answers come on a monthly basis if any. :frowning:

Since their goal is to provide a plug-in foss library SDK for all https://github.com/eventtus/photo-editor-android, they may deserve some kind of assist/help from foss communities (instead of divergent fork) ?

There are many on Reddit searching for this missing feature on Android.

1 Like

@oF2pks I’m a bit confused as to what you’re asking here. Are you suggesting that I could help replace the proprietary PhotoEditor SDK with this open source SDK (which happens to be named similarly but probably doesn’t provide the same API) or at least get it onto F-Droid?

At least get it on F-Droid, it’s the same experience, right? Press the edit button…(open app or internal function it does not matter_

No, SimpleGallery (like any Gallery app) uses a share action to every app able to edit photos, when pencil button is triggered.

I slightly modified this new rfp app to comply with that share intent <edit> and uploaded a debug flavor for testing : https://gitlab.com/fdroid/rfp/uploads/29ffb652ac0b0214900bf277d43f1e83/pEditor-debug.apk , which works fine with SimpleGalleryPro (and thus can bypass minimalist foss embedded useful crop).

Not only there are no such basic foss app, but on F-Droid it could also help both deaf or mute people to quickly express/communicate via this on-screen editing app with photos or graphical draws: the app support texting, brush and smileys (plus the simplified sticker database ?).

I thought you might be interested helping original devs, either to finalize the rfp ready, or app enhancement on github (?) , their repo is 2 parts : the app + the library/sdk https://github.com/burhanrashid52/PhotoEditor.

(I myself have many other apps on the go actually, and not very confident with photo/camera/draw processing …)

Thanks for the APK, works fine :slight_smile:

Now…hope someone (wink-wink-nudge-nudge) can make it a dream come true in a RFP :slight_smile:

Tried the apk, in my device (Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Android Nougat AOSP) it runs well.
I don’t understand though why you say there is no photo editor in FLOSS world… My AOSP rom has an editor, which I believe to be stock android open source. Am I mistaken, does AOSP include non-free apps?

Thanks for it anyway :wink: